Recommendations for an external USB-C BluRay drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hawkeye_a, Jun 4, 2017.

1. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I've been looking in vain for a USB-C Blu-Ray drive for my tMBP. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

Cheers

2. TheOkeland macrumors member

USB-A drive with adapter? AFAIK there are no USB-C Blu-Ray-Drives yet.

Maybe a Wireless-Blu-Ray-Drive could serve your needs?

3. leman macrumors 604

Any USB Blu-Ray with detachable USB cable (which should be most of them).

4. killawat macrumors 65816

You probably won't find a USB-C dedicated one, if you did it would probably have a premium on it. but use one with a detachable cable and find the matching interface for USB-C.

5. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I picked up a Pioneer BDR‑XD05S drie.

However, it comes with USB-MicroB to dual USB-A plugs. I managed to get it to work on my old MacBook using both USB-As plugged in

When I try it on my tMBP (with the USB3-A plugged into the Apple AV dognle which goes into USB-C), it doesnt seem to get enough power to mount the disc, it just keeps spinning up and winding down.

I'm not sure If i should buy a USB-C to Micro-B cable or a power supply for the drive (instead of getting another USB-C to USB-A dongle)? I'd prefer the former. And idea if it will/should work?

Cheers

6. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

7. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I'm also looking for an external DVD drive option. I purchased the USB-C adapter that has the HDMI and USB options but it won't power the superdrive. Does anyone know if the basic USB-C to USB adapter for $19 will work with the superdrive?

8. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I read somewhere that the AV adapter uses some power, so I assumed that not enough power made to to the external drive. I don't know if the USBC to USBA adapter will work.

9. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

The Apple SuperDrive is a single cable device but the BluRay units seem to require 2 plug-ins in order to work. I went through this and on the 2015 it is a hassle because the USB ports are on opposite sides of the computer. Interestingly enough, I had a USB extension cable from Apple for some reason and can use that to make it work.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Tony wrote:
    "The Apple SuperDrive is a single cable device but the BluRay units seem to require 2 plug-ins in order to work."

I have a Samsung "506" series USB DVD/CD/Bluray burner, and it's never needed more than ONE USB connection to work.
    I don't recall ever having had "a bad burn" from it, either!
    I'm not sure if Samsung is still making these...

11. TonyK, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Oh, a new toy for me to look at. Don't use it often but having to give up to USB3 slots is a pain.

THANK YOU!

Update: Not finding those currently available. :( Will do more searching later.

12. carestudio macrumors 6502

Apple's one does work with the superdrive.

13. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Thank you for the feedback! I ordered the adapter and will try it as soon as it arrives.

14. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Well I've come up empty on BluRay units that use a single USB3 cable. My current Pioneer, just purchased this year, works fine but requires both of my USB3 ports.

15. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I also have a BDR-XD05 and it works just fine using a single USB-3 port.

16. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Going to have to run to BestBuy and see if they have a BDR-XD05. Like the LG unit well enough but 2 USB3 ports vs 1 USB3 port is a lot of difference.

17. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I was able to get the superdrive DVD drive to work with the USB-C to USB-A adapter.