Recommendations for best Laptop to Desktop sync setups?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spacedesign911, Aug 30, 2010.

1. spacedesign911 macrumors regular

Hi guys I've been Promac based for years and now run a Macbook Pro for mobility around the office and house.

I'm getting flustered running 2 systems in tandem along with 1 wife and 3 kids! Currently before I leave the desktop I put a copy of my current work on my TimeCapsule then pull it down to the laptop, work then visa versa.

I would like my work folders, photos, and music to be on both machines.

I see programs like Drop Box and Chronosyc, the language on the Chrnosync website make is appear fairly complicated, can I ask if anyone might spare a moment to cover their expieriences of them or any other setups?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use ChronoSync; it's pretty easy to use. You set up a bunch of rules like what folders to sync, what to do with deletions, etc. Then you can either set up a time they sync or you can manually do the syncs.

3. spacedesign911 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Alphaod, thanks for the reply, does Chronosynce work over your local wifo network, or over the internet, do both machines have to be left on?

Do you have to sync before you close your desktop or do you leave it powered on?

Do you know if this can be done with Leopard on one machine and snow leopard onthe other?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I use Dropbox and SynchTogether, both are extremely simple to set up and use. SynchTogether does auto sync's every 15 minutes of:

Address Book
    Dashboard
    Dock
    Preferences
    iCal
    Mail
    and Safari.

Dropbox is used for any other files I want to synch between my 2 machines.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm a huge fan of Live Mesh, which is becoming Live Sync (beta). Check it out! http://www.mesh.com