Recommendations for DVD copy programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EricaV, Mar 21, 2009.

1. EricaV macrumors regular

EricaV

I'm new to the mac and I'm looking for a solid DVD cloner or copy program so that I can back up (replicate) DVDs I own onto disc. I also want a program that would allow me to copy certain segments and chapter to create new disks.

semi-dummy level would be great as I'm not a real techy or media person.

I've tried trials of both DVD copy (mp4converter software studio) ---unfortunately the trial doesn't give you full functionality (gotta question the logic here) and Fast DVD copy 4.1

When I tried them both either locked up or shut down unexpectedly during functions which doesn't bode well.

would appreciate suggestions before I buy one as the trial runs here aren't working for me !

Erica

2. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Check out mac the ripper. Also, there are forums for mac the ripper at its site where they can set you straight on any other dvd backup issues and additional tools that you might find handy.

3. blamblam macrumors newbie

dvd copy programs

MactheRipper (the Intel version) is ok, but getting old. To properly copy dvds sadly the only real consistent solution is to install VMWare Fusion, Windows XP, and AnyDVD and Clone DVD. And it pains me to say that.

That combo works fine on my 2.33 gig Intel Duo under Leopoard. For most dvds the newer (but still old) Intel Mactheripper does ok, but these days there are just too many new copy protection schemes--like writing deliberately bad sectors, etc. and Mactheripper just won't cut it. It won't do disks that started life in a vhs to dvd recorder either.:mad:

And with the latter, MactheRipper doesn't tell you when its missing bits of something. You have to check the end of the video to see.

The state of Macripping isn't good right now, from what I can tell, and unfortunately I don't have the chops to change it.:rolleyes:

One issue is that you'll have to mod your dvd drive firmware as well no matter how you're running if you want to used Anydvd. It only properly works with multi-zone firmware. But there are lots of wonderful hacks out there for that.;)

Bottom line: you will have to spend a number of hours puzzling this out; there is no magic bullet that I know of.

4. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I am going to be using handbrake for dvd back up, it is pretty awesome! and yes, windblows for bluray conversion to avi/divx/xvid and so on..

one question what do you mean that you will have to mod your dvd firmware to use anydvd? Please pm me with some info because i just came back from the dark side (windblows) when i purchased my mac pro 8 core, and do not know what or how to do anything with multi-zone firmware?

thanks

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

6. blamblam macrumors newbie

I am going to be using handbrake for dvd back up, it is pretty awesome! and yes, windblows for bluray conversion to avi/divx/xvid and so on..

one question what do you mean that you will have to mod your dvd firmware to use anydvd? Please pm me with some info because i just came back from the dark side (windblows) when i purchased my mac pro 8 core, and do not know what or how to do anything with multi-zone firmware?

thanks

Well, unless there's a new version of handbrake, you'll be backing things up as mp4's. I suppose that's ok. If you're doing that, there's a work around on the mac for dvd's outside your zone. Say your machine has been set to zone 1 and you want to rip a zone 2 dvd, here's what you do: Just put the disk in and allow the "you have to change your region for this dvd" (approx) message to come up. Then force quit. The dvd is already mounted on the desktop.

If it's a commercial dvd, I don't know whether handbrake will decess it or not. If so, you're ready to use handbrake since the dvd has been mounted on the desktop. If not, then you'll have to rip the disk.

If Mactheripper doesn't do it, then you'll have to resort to using anydvd and clone dvd under windoze. That's where the problems/fun starts.

Most dvd burners from apple will default to their local zone 1,2, whatever. You need to do an about this mac and more info and find out what dvd burner you have in your machine. Then you'll need to do a google search on the model of your drive and something like "region free firmware." or "multi-zone firmware".

There are a few programs that work on the mac; some that work only on the pc. The goal is to load hacked firmware into your dvd burner.

There is the danger that you will fry your dvd burner and have to install another physical drive. There are no guarantees here.

My experience is that it works, however. After you have made your dvd drive firmware capable of accepting zone changes, you will download Region X.

Before you put in a dvd from another zone than your native one (i.e. whatever your dvd drive defaults to), you'll have to change the zone via Region X.

Be aware that your drive--without the multi-zone firmware--will only support 4 or so region changes. After that it will be locked into the last one you set it to.

If you're only ripping dvd's from your region, this won't be a problem and you won't have to upgrade your firmware to multi-region. If you want to rip say zone 2 or zone 3 dvd's and your native firmware is zone 1, then you will have to go through all the pain of tracking down the hacked firmware and risking frying your driving, etc. And no, I don't know where you can find the firmware for your drive. You'll have to google it up somehow.

Good luck.

7. blamblam macrumors newbie

after you rip

I'm glad to hear about these newer alternative son the mac, even if they are paying alternatives. At least they are reasonably cheap.

But after you rip, there's nothing better I have used that the freeware program mpeg streamclip. There are mac, windoze, and linux versions. It rocks and is frequently updated.

Oh, and by the way, does anyone know of a good mac-based program for working with subtitles? What I want to do is be able to remove subtitles from a disk and then, using the timing already established insert back into the dvd file an English version, where the old one was.

Wd appreciate any experience on this.

8. EricaV thread starter macrumors regular

EricaV

Any experience with DVD cloner- appears only for windoze

I share your pain- but it's good to know. Good news is that I already run VMWare and XP. I have used an older version of a program called DVD cloner with some success in the bootcamp partition but it has started to get buggy on me. I was considering buying a current version of this but then assumed mac would have something better.

Any experience with DVD cloner vs Anydvd or dvd clone ?- the only reason I'm considering taking the chance and just upgrading DVD cloner is that I'm not savvy enough to go about what you suggest here with the firmware:

"One issue is that you'll have to mod your dvd drive firmware as well no matter how you're running if you want to used Anydvd. It only properly works with multi-zone firmware. But there are lots of wonderful hacks out there for that.;)"

Any other thoughts welcome- thanks so much, very helpful
    E

9. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

10. blamblam macrumors newbie

Thanks to CA2APS, I tried Aimer DVDcopy. It worked great on the stuff I usually have the greatest problems with: region 2 dvds and dvds made on standalone dvd recorders. And, by the way, the link posted by CA2APS gives you Aimer DVDcopy at a cheaper price than you can get it on their own site. I will seriously consider it when the 10 free tries run out. At $29.00, it's a great deal. I use Toast, btw, to burn dvds, whether I author them myself, or rip them.

Changing the firmware is a bit scarey, but with the price of dvd burners these days, it's a risk worth taking. Often there is a way to reload the original firmware because of a screw-up during the firmware replacement process, but there is always a risk--I don't know how great--of permanently disabling your dvd drive. So Aimer DVDcopy might be the way to go. The trick is getting the dvd to mount, after that you can just force quit dvd player instead of changing your drive region and let the DVD copy program you choose make the ripped dvd region free.

I checked out several dvd copies mentioned on versiontracker and checked the remarks section; you might want to go there before you buy. But at least Aimer allows you to try before you buy. I was impressed.