Recommendations for ext. DVD player for Mini?

weaztek

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
I just realized I am losing my DVD drive from my 2011 iMac and it's been my DVD player as well. Can anyone recommend a DVD Player that has actually been tested on the 2018 mini? Ideally with Blu Ray.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
If you decide to spend a little more for a drive with BluRay capabilities, consider also getting one that has "M-DISC" capability as well (cost is little more or no difference).

M-DISC media uses non-dye material, and they'll last hundreds of years (or so the makers claim), because there is no dye to "fade" over time.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I got an OWC external enclosure and pulled my bluray drive from my PC and put it in that and connected to the mini. Works great. It's an Asus drive. It can read UHD discs too.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Really depends on needs. I wanted to be able to rip UHD media, so I grabbed the OWC enclosure and a drive that had that capability.

I've got a tiny one that I can carry with me, but it probably wouldn't stand up to desktop abuse.

weaztek

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with an LG GP60NS50 that was about $30. Blu-Ray would have been nice but I don't have any BR discs yet, so I guess I just slept through that era. Should have everything running by the weekend.