Recommendations for External Enclosures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iJerald, Jan 14, 2008.

1. iJerald macrumors newbie

1st post!

I'm planning on upgrading my MacBook 80GB HD to a 250GB. I want to purchase an external enclosure to facilitate the transfer. I have a couple questions. What size/type of enclosure will fit the MacBook HD.
    If you have done this, do you recommend a certain enclosure? Links would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

2. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Any 2.5 inch, SATA enclosure will do fine. As for recommendations, it depends on what you're willing to spend. $15 will get you one that will work, but only for about a year (they tend to break easily, in my experience). $50 will get you something rock solid with a decent warranty, better construction, etc. Go to newegg and search around a bit.

Oh, and welcome to MacRumors!

3. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Recommendation: Not worth the hassle, just get an external HD, at the very least it will have a warranty.

Keep your old HD as a backup in the event your 250 has issues.

4. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

Better yet, get this drive. It'll be more "future proof" and you can use the enclosure for your old drive. Problem solved. Get iBackup or another free software program to image your old drive onto your new one and you're in business. Go to iFixit.com for the play-by-play.