Recommendations for external SSD boot drive please.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tulipone, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Tulipone macrumors 6502

Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for an external SSD boot drive for a '12 iMac please?

I end up in a circle when reading reviews and advice. I think Thunderbolt suits best rather than take a USB port if that narrows the field down.

Thanks in advance.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm a fan of the Samsung SSD's and would recommend the 840 EVO.

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I just bought a crucial mx100 512 gb ssd for the purpose of boot. I want osx and windows bootcamp on the ssd. Can anyone provide a tutorial?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you want to boot from Windows via an external drive, I believe your only possible choice is thunderbolt, because to my knowledge you can boot Windows via USB.

However,
    IF you can forego booting Windows externally,
    and
    IF your iMac has USB3,
    then
    ... a USB3 external enclosure or USB3/SATA dock would be a cheaper way to put together an "external booter".

There is a nice external 2.5" enclosure by a company called InaTeck (Germany?) that's cheap and runs well (has UASP support, which you ABSOLUTELY want in a USB3 external boot enclosure).

There are several USB3/SATA docking stations that also have UASP support.

But again, if you have-to-have Windows booting as well, your choice must be thunderbolt, and those choices seem to be relatively limited...

5. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I'm doing a thunderbolt connection. Yeah I want both windows and osx on the external ssd. I've read about using winclone for moving the bootcamp partition from the internal drive to the external ssd. But I also want osx on the ssd as well.

6. Blue Hour macrumors newbie

I bought a Lacie external SSD with Thunderbolt and USB works well as a boot drive for me. My only complaint is the small drive size.