Recommendations for Firewire Beta (9pin to 9pin) (1394b) cable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 6cef, Jun 18, 2009.

1. 6cef macrumors newbie

I got a LaCie rugged drive, and it's really nice. Comes with a Firewire Beta cable (a 9pin to 9pin cable), a Firewire 6pin to 6pin cable, and a USB cable.

Unfortunately, the connectors on the Firewire Beta cable are really terrible. Worse, it might be a design problem with the Firewire 800 connectors.

But maybe it is just the cable. Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively short, relatively inexpensive Beta cables? I'd like it to be 6 feet or less, and under $50.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Colin Freas

2. sorenjorvang macrumors newbie

Well, it's a LaCie product, but..

I just bought one of these and it seems to be good quality. The 9-pin connector definitely mates well with my MBP.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=111

3. 6cef thread starter macrumors newbie

That URL takes me to a list of all Lacie products... but on closer examination, I'm going to assume you're talking about the flat Lacie cables, which I see at this URL: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11183

Those do look nice! Too bad they're out of stock there... I'll keep an eye out for them though. And kind of a terrible color, though I guess it goes with the orange "bumper" on my drive.

How have you found the connectors? My problem is that the Beta connectors (the 9-pin connectors for Firewire 800 devices) on the cable I have seems to not "snap in" the way USB connectors, and even Firewire 400 Alpha connectors do. I'm hoping it's just the cable I have but, as I alluded to in my original post, on looking at the connector and their mechanical characteristics, I'm concerned it might just be the overall design of the Alpha connector.

4. sorenjorvang macrumors newbie

Right, I got the http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11182 .

As I said it has adequate tension when used with the MBP at least, but yeah, the all-plastic housing makes for less of a "snap". I have several other brands of Firewire 800 cables and they are all like that.

5. Badradio macrumors 6502

$50 seems a lot for what's essentially a disposable item. I got some Belkin cables off eBay for a couple of pounds each and they're lasting great; if they show any problems I'll just replace them.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

7. Kpeters213 macrumors newbie

yea you gotta get one that has a metal piece at the tip. They are very hard to find but they are out there. I had the same exact problem as you. I found one that is gray with red ends. It works great. I can't remember where I got it but I'll look and let you know if I find it. It wasnt too expensive either.

8. Kpeters213 macrumors newbie