Recommendations for HDV camcorders under the $800 range

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BipolarNick, Nov 27, 2009.

1. BipolarNick macrumors newbie

Looking at HDV camcorders, not doing anything etxtreme, just making some indi short movies. Don't need a 1200$ camcorder. I have great editing expereriance and I am getting a new camcorder to record with. I have a 05 Sony Handycam MiniDV. I am looking to get something new and better.

I was looking at these:
    Sony HDR-DC3E HD camcorder
    Canon iVIS-HV20 1080i HD HDV
    Sony HDR-HC1 HDV

I am trying to get the best for my buck. Are any of of these worth it. If not please suggest something for me please if you know any better. Thank you

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Sony is good, but out of the camcorders the OP listed, the canon is the best. I would try and go for a HV40 if you can, but the HV30 or HV20 have pretty much the same image quality, although a lack a few features.

4. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you very much. I'll start looking around. I was leaning around sony more, because I have a previous model and they work with my Mac. Will all these camcorders work with Mac (FCP).

5. lindahl22 macrumors member

Of the Canon Vixia series do you know which format would be the best. I created a thread here about it

6. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I just got a HV-40 to go along with the two XDA-H1 cameras I have. The HV-40 is used for places the XDA-H1's are too big (in car footage, sticking to windows, etc). It's pretty excellent quality, and the MiniDV is a useful feature - there's not many small HD camcorders left that still use tape.

7. BipolarNick thread starter macrumors newbie

So are you telling me I should buy a Hard drive Hi def camcorder instead of a HDV. Cause I'm not trying to spend more than 600 bucks realistically, I know there are great deals on ebay that sell 1000$ camcorders or at least the 800 - 900 range you can get for a lot cheaper. I'm gonna be making stuff this summer so what do you think would be the best route to take.