recommendations for iBook G3??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Nov 7, 2014.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello everyone.

I have an iBook G3. 500MHz, 384MB SDRAM, 10GB HDD.

It's running OS X 10.4.11 right now but I have been thinking about what to do with this and need some help. Any Linux distorts that would be good? Different versions of OS X that are better suited for this machine?

I have NO money to spend so the free-er the better! Thanks in advance!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iMessage me. I may be able to help with ram, HD and older OS. No guarantees because I don't know what I have. Panther may run better on it.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have been running Tiger on the iBook you gave me. It works well if you disable Spotlight and Dashboard!

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

And that's awesome but this one doesn't have enough RAM for Tiger (in my opinion) and the only other versions of OS X that I have that can run on this machine is 10.2 but those are upgrade discs only.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you can get 640 MB of RAM in there coupled with a 5400 RPM hard drive you would be able to run Tiger well enough. I believe you would need a 512 MB stick for that to work if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, most everything that I find is 128 MB or 256 which is less than helpful for anyone upgrading a G3.

6. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Ha Ha Ha!!

I am now connected with my iBook G3 to this site thanks to Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac! The page does not load properly (of course), but it is completely fun. completely fun and the machine is way more responsive with 10.1 than it was with 10.4.

This is absolutely great. I now have my very own wayback time machine in my lap. I am also glad that when I was setting up OS X, that I was given the option for Earthlink and to set up my iTools account. I skipped both but I think I'll go ahead and do that at some point just to see how it goes.

Anyway, there's the update! Soon, I'll be updating this to 10.1.3 (or whatever it is since I downloaded it), then cloning it to a flash drive, then upgrading to 10.2 and then cloning that. I will have every version of OS X soon! Yesssssss.