Recommendations for iPod FM Transmitter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elpmas, Sep 24, 2009.

1. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I found the Monster iPod FM Transmitter on amazon for around $20. Does any1 have one or know anyone that has one that they are very fond of?
    I want to get one so I can use it for my car. Thanks if you're able to help.

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

back when i worked at the apple store, they used to sell these - we got lots of returns. People were generally happier with the belkin models from what I saw.

Keep in mind, the sound quality is never going to be "crystal clear", you're always going to get some feedback, this will vary depending on where you are (out in the country will be more clear than in downtown New York for example).

It seems you're going for a reasonably priced solution - this will likely meet your needs. If the option to wire the iPod is available to you, I'd recommend that route (line in, ipod connector that many cars have these days, etc.).

3. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

$20 is cheap. I bought one several years ago for about $80. Worked great in my wife's Honda, but totally useless in my WV. Probably something to do with where the external antenna was in relation to the transmitter (Honda at front - close by, VW at rear - far away).

Since its heavily discounted, make sure it's not a firewire-charging-only model (as the older ones were) especially if you want to use it with a new usb-only charge ipod/phone.

4. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

K. I will look into it. I'll post here if I have another question/comment. Thanks again.

5. Shownarou macrumors regular

If you have the option of using a cassette tape adapter, I would recommend going that route instead. In my truck, it is 100x better than the 100$ FM transmitter I was using, not to mention 10 times cheaper. :p

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have used a Griffin iTrip Auto for about 3 years. It has worked well for me. I think they may have changed the name lately, but you shouuld be able to find it. I've been happy with all my Griffin products.

7. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I tried several models & brands. The best (by far) was the line from DLO.

8. dbwie macrumors 6502

Griffin iTrip Auto for iPod and iPhone.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto

I used to have one for my iPod, but didn't work with my iPhone. This one works with both, so you are ready if you get an iPhone. It charges the iPod/iPhone while transmitting, and it's easy to change the FM station with the smartscan button.

9. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas