Recommendations for LCD TV for my bedroom?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Saluki Alex, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

So I'll be moving into my apartment on Aug. 1 and want a new tv since my 27" standard is a little large for my bedroom (my apartment complex is part of our university housing so the bedrooms are a little small, but they're brand new so I'm not complaining.)

I've been looking at 26" or 23" LCDs but am considering a 19" because of price.

I happened to be at Target tonight and wandered over the the electronics section and was looking at some Philips LCDs (I'm partial to Philips products) and noticed a 26" Olevia next to the Philips and the Olevia had just slightly a better image than the Philips yet was around $350 less.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this brand (I've never bought a no-name brand of electronics before), and/or does anyone have any recommendations for an LCD that isn't too pricey.

By the way, in-case anyone is going to ask about a cable box, my apartment doesn't have them, all we have is a cable hookup in each room which you'd hook up directly to your tv.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...-9889434?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000OY7PXC

http://www.amazon.com/Olevia-26%22-...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184301961&sr=1-36

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I bought a 40" LCD from http://www.plasmabay.com about a couple months ago. I made a thread about it. I bought a Samsung. They have good reviews. Plasma bay has some good prices. Just look at amazon user review and othe online reviews and make a choice. That's what I always do.

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Might I suggest moving this convo to this thread: LCD/Plasma television reviews, pics and discussion. It would be good to consolidate this topic and many of us are trying to pool our resources to make a good thread that is useful to all those interested in this topic. For a reference point a very good thread that we are likely going to be merging into this thread.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Don't get a Philips, my Philips LCD TV has been rubbish (very poor picture, very unreliable, very very poor sound).

I can highly rceommend the Samsung TVs. They have very very good panels, decent electronics driving them and they're very competitively priced.

I was looking at the 19" one the other day, very good price for what you get, and the performance is second to none in that size.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I agree. My friend has a 32" Samsung and it has a really nice picture. Philips is kinda the low end brand. I hear Sharp is supposed to be very good too, though I think they cost a lot.

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I have a 32" Samsung and I know a few people who have bigger ones. I would recommend them as would all of the people I know who have one.

7. iGazer macrumors newbie

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Look on newegg, they usually have pretty good inexpensive LCD TV's. The only problem is you can't see the picture quality and you have the rely on other peoples reviews.

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Sharp aren't that bad, and while they do cost quite a lot, it's not exactly a rip-off.

Philips also did some good stuff, they made some great CRTs, and their CD players are fantastic (funny, as they invented the CD :rolleyes: ). I've also got 3 Philips DVD players, and they're all fantastic...

10. fedgirl macrumors member

fedgirl

I love my Sharp Aquos and also Vizio's from Walmart.com are an excellent choice, they can also be found at Costco's. Read CNET.com reviews on these tv's, they are awesome. My next tv is going to be a Vizio form Costco for sure! There is a Vizio 26" at walmart.com for $448 with free shipping, here is the link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623471

32" Vizio from Costco: $759.99
    20" Vizio from Costco: $379.99

You will be happy with a Vizio as its highly rated in Consumer Reports

Sharp Aquos have come down in price drastically, do you have a Brandsmart in your area? Check with them also and see if they have Sharp Aquos, they don't have Vizio which is a nice tv that you do have to see in person.

11. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828