Recommendations for MBA external display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MBAophile, Feb 17, 2012.

1. MBAophile macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am looking for a good (and affordable) external display (min. 23") for my 2011 MBA 13" and would love to have some input and suggestions as to what has worked well for anybody here. Obviously, the 27" Apple Cinema Display is a nice option but way outside my budget (and too large a screen for my desk). I was also considering the old 24" Apple Cinema Display but I understand there have been problems using that monitor via the Thunderbolt port. I do have an old 19" HP monitor and just for fun I tried that using the Apple MDP to DVI connector and nothing shows up on the external screen. The laptop works fine, however, with a MDP to HDMI cable hooked up to my Sony Bravia in the living room so the Thunderbolt port is working. Would a much older 23" DVI-based Apple Cinema display work well or should I look for a brand new 23" external display made by Samsung or others? Any advice and personal experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

If budget is a concern, I wouldn't go for an Apple Display.

You can actually get 23" monitors (1920x1080 resolution) for less than $200, and they work just fine with your MBA (you will need to buy an HDMI dongle adapter). I used to have this set up before buying my current Apple Display 27" and it worked well.

3. JMies419 macrumors 6502

+1, there are plenty of good displays out there under $200 if you can't get the Apple display.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I used to use a Samsung 24in monitor that was 1920x1200. It was awesome and less than $300 a few years ago