Recommendations for Modem to use with AEBS (Newest Model)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Clix Pix, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    My ISP, Cox Communications, recently upgraded their services and notified me that it's time to switch from my old setup of a Toshiba DOCIS 2.0 modem to a new DOCIS 3.0 modem. I figure that as long as I'm doing that I might as well also replace my second-generation AEBS with the new model that has recently been released. Any recommendations for a modem that will work well with the new AEBS? I looked at the list that Cox provides and notice that they mention several Surfboard models made by Motorola. I am thinking maybe the 6141 might work well for me. Thoughts?

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have a 6141 and have no issues hitting the 30 Mbps I'm paying for. I don't have an AEBS though. I've been happy with the modem, except for an issue that turned out to be my router in the end.

Look carefully, there are actually two 6141's, the white one (the one I have) has more downstream channels which allows for more speed.

3. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Thank you! Yes, I noticed that in some of the articles I've been reading -- the black version is apparently a somewhat older version used by ISPs and that it is important to get the white retail version.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have a white Motorola MOSB6141 ($90) with current version Time Capsule and it has excellent performance. AEBS and TC have same router circuits. The white MOSB6141 is recommended widely, lots of folks use them.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I had a Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem for a while and it ran really hot. It ended up dying an early death and I had to replace it under warranty which left me with considerable down time. I would recommend staying away from this model.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The black and white SB6141 versions have exactly the same hardware and there is no difference. The black was just not intended for retail sale (even though you could buy it on Amazon and many sites) and the white was made specifically for retail sale. But they are the same.

Don't worry about firmware versions, your ISP will change it to their preferred firmware version after the modem is provisioned.

I use the 6141 with TW cable and the new tower Time Capsule and it works fine.

The 6141 can bond eight download channels. Be careful when shopping as some lower priced cable modems (like the 6121) can only handle four channels, so you may not be able to handle the higher speed tiers your ISP offers.

7. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Thank you! Yes, I definitely want to get the best bang for my bucks, and since I have the premium tier of internet service, I definitely want to be able to get the speed and features for which I'm paying. I will be sure that I get the 8 channels rather than four.