Recommendations for note taking app

Discussion in 'iPad' started by s1m, Jun 24, 2010.

1. s1m macrumors 6502

Hi all

My iPad is arriving today finally and I will be shortly looking for some form of note taking and organisation app and was hoping for some recommendations.

My iPad is partly going to replace my notebook where I jot down information from the various business meetings/conference calls I attend. The notes are generally fairly brief - names, dates, key focus areas - that sort of thing.

At the moment obviously the note book is simply a linear stream of information - what I would like to do is group the notes/pages by project/discussion topic/actions arising so on a long term project I can see all the notes related to that project and not have to search through a linear list.

I would like also to be able to back up the information for safety purposes.

What I don't need is a desktop solution as I can not sync my iPad with my work computer.

I could in theory just use Notes and title each note appropriately but I am looking for something a little more sophisticated.

I am not looking for a free solution so happy to invest in this as a key business tool. As an aside I will be buying iWork and some of the Omni product suite.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

S

2. cobrien86 macrumors newbie

Based on what you're saying, I'm thinking Bento for iPad. Take a look, and see if that's close to the mark.

3. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Simplenote on an iPad is quite good - mostly just a list, but it is searchable. It also syncs, and there is a desktop app (Notational Velocity - which is a great name), you can use to tag and update notes. There's also a web interface, to access that way.

Tags don't seem to flow back to Simplenote, but other updates do. You can also mail notes to yourself - a feature i particularly like.

It barely meets your requirements, but is free so maybe worth trying? If you find something that syncs and organises better, please share!

(Syncing is a must for me, as much as a backup as anything).

4. richimages macrumors regular

richimages

I really like Note Taker HD ... It makes for a realistic sized piece of paper, with narrow or wide, grid or lined, or blank, paper options.

Here's a sample, that I converted into a PDF and emailed to myself.

Read the manual to get the most out of Edit 2 Mode, automatic scrolling features with the very unique interface. It uses a "Magnification Window" and a little pink que to continue a line in Automatic Scrolling Mode ...

Good Luck with whatever you decide ...

5. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys