Recommendations for playing iPhone/Ipod in the car

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pandap, May 14, 2010.

1. pandap macrumors newbie

To start off, my car doesn't have an auxiliary input, it doesn't have a cassette slot. So the simple way with a tape-to-3.5mm jack/ or a auxilary cable doesn't work for me.

I want it to charge my 4th gen Ipod nano and my iPhone 3G. I'm also planning to get the upcoming iPhone 4G.

I've used FM transmitters before but the receptions are pretty bad at times, and they go outdated when i get newer apple hardwares. For example, i had a Monster iCarPlay but it wasn't compatible with my iPod 4th Gen and had limited functionality with my 3G. so i had to replace it with a Belkin one but the reception were a lot worse than the monster one.

I've recently lost my Belkin FM transmitter so i'm looking for an alternative way to play music in my car

If i don't want FM transmitters, is car decks then only way to go?

I need it to be able to play audio from my phone because i do use iphone GPS apps as well as musics, I also need it to charge my iPhone/Ipod

ANy good suggestions?

2. sjdigital macrumors regular

You don't say what sort of car audio system you do have so it's hard to offer any specific recommendation but you could look at an FM modulator that connects via the aerial socket and should give a better result than an FM transmitter. There is also a variety of iPod adapters that connect in various ways. I use a USASpec one that hooks up via the CD changer port but there are plenty of other options. Have a look at www.discountcarstereo.com where I got my adapter some years ago.

3. meisterjager macrumors member

I use a Kenwood head unit/stereo with a USB cable attachment. The unit has full iPod control meaning you can control your music selections via the head unit itself rather than the iPod/iPhone (whilst maintaining full iPhone functionality, btw), and I can both listen to music from my 120gb Classic and my iPhone 3Gs, and they both charge through the head unit too, which is a massive plus. Not to mention I can play music off of a simple USB stick.

I'd seriously consider installing a new car stereo if at all possible. Most modern units will have USB ports ideal for iPod/iPhone - I'd assume they all charge, too, but can only vouch for my specific head unit. It's a sure-fire method of perfect iPod/iPhone audio, plus in car charging, and will probably be an all-round upgrade to your car stereo, too.

Good luck!

4. ReliantLion macrumors newbie

5. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=919403

I had the same problem. In the end I have decided to wait for the 4g phone to come out to be sure the accessory I want will work.

Looks like a hard wired FM modulator is going to be your best bet. That way you can still use the phone / nav / pandora/ ect with out the interference that the wireless modulators cause.

Check out the above thread for more info

6. klcg35 macrumors newbie

car adaptrs

They are running a coupon code SCTVRN (enter in special comments to reciev 10% off) use in combination with their free shipping is a killer deal.

waiting for mine in the mail will post pictures

7. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Is your radio built-in, or can you treat yourself to a new bells & whistles set that will do all you want and sound good too. Go on, you know you want to !