Recommendations for portable 'book' scanner?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cassady, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Salutations!

Currently writing up my dissertation - and if things work out according to plan, I will be off to the UK and AUS for some research time, about a week each, in June/July.

I plan on spending some of that time in University libraries, looking for hard to find sources (legislation/parliamentary bills etc).

I'm considering purchasing a portable scanner to take along - one that you can move over the book/document (as opposed to a Scansnap Doxie etc., that must be fed pages) to capture images and convert to PDF.

Anyone bought one recently that works well?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Think about using one of those apps that use the phone camera to take a photo as a scanner, if you have a smart phone, and if libraries permit.... At the worst, take a photo and at least you will have a readable image. In the end, they seem to work as well as those tiny portable scanners.

3. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Thanks. I have plenty of those - they work fine with shorter items, but any lengthy scan project is a PITA - and with thick books, you need three arms! ;)

Figured the benefit of the scanner, if I understand it correctly, means you can lie it flat on the book/page, thereby also keeping it open- and then physically slide it down/across. That (again - in my head) appears to be an easier option than the iPhone/App approach?

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The scanners of that type available some years ago had bad firmware for handling skewing and varying speed scans. Don't know how the quality is these days as I haven't looked for any.

Scanning with your phone is tricky but with a good app probably will do as good of a job. I use Scanner Pro when I don't have my ScanSnap with me and it does a good job. Corrects tombstones and skews. Quality is good enough for text.