Recommendations for powered USB hub?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tdx, Jul 31, 2009.

1. tdx macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been trying to find a good, solid powered-USB hub to use with my Macbook Pro. I tried the Belkin 7-port, which had good reviews, but it just stopped working after 2 weeks, and it was never powering self-powered USB hard drives properly (even though it was supposed to).

So I'd like some recommendations for a good USB hub that has sufficient power to use with self-powered USB hard drives and that won't slow down or stop working when i connect too many devices.

Thanks in advance.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

All USB hubs will slowdown when you plug more devices in. All the devices are sharing the bandwidth of a single USB port.

You should be able to call up Belkin and get a replacement hub under warranty.

3. BlueLAser macrumors newbie

self powered hubs are not overly great when it comes to powering self powered usb hard drives. the hard drive takes up so much power at times that it can cause the hub to crash. mouses are another thing that can cause then to go down. even some powered ones i have seen crash under pressure. i would go powered. the more devices you have especially the one that drawn large amounts of power increase the chances of the hub or controller of going down for a sec or so then coming back up. it depends on other stuff too. but yeah.

4. tdx thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I meant wall-powered, not self-powered. Silly me. The belkin one was wall-powered and still crashed.

I'll get a refund on that one, but I'd rather go with a more reliable brand/model number to avoid future problems.

5. BlueLAser macrumors newbie

yeah i have a dlink 7 port powered hub from newegg for cheap. it is good as long as cable is connected and power is not surpased like i talked about in previous post.

6. tdx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. What if I want a hub that allows me to run, say two or three hard drives via USB? Is there one that has enough power?

7. tdx thread starter macrumors member