Recommendations for protecting your rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronaldcastillo, Oct 27, 2012.

1. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I'm expecting my rMBP to be delivered this Tuesday. *crossing fingers it's a Samsung display* Checked MyProfiles and it was manufactured this week, so hopefully nothing won't be wrong with it. Any recommendations on what I should use to protect my rMBP from scratches. The Speck see thru SATIN snap cases looks good, but will the plastic/rubber feeling scratch it overtime? Or what skins/protectors are reliable with using the rMBP?

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

You could always get the ZAGG invisible shield for the rMBP. I plan to get that soon. Always had it on my iphones and it's kept them immaculate!

I love the *naked* look so I might just do the Zagg, although the Speck Black Satin cover does entice me!! :p

I might also consider the ColcaSac cover, although I already have the OGIO Renegade II [ suspended laptop compartment ], for when carrying just the rMBP outside.

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I have a clear case, radtech matte screen protector, and a keyboard protector (although i feel the keyboard thing is unnecessary). I think I'm well protected.

4. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

how to check when your macbook was manufactured?
    does it says so somewhere on the receipt?
    i just ordered mine too, i haven't say my prayers yet, but crossing my fingers instead. no, not for the samsung screen, just a machine that will last me a while trouble free.:)

5. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

https://supportprofile.apple.com/

Go to that web address. Log in and your MacBook Pro Retina should be under the My Products tab. Then go to http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html and input your serial number. It should give you the week it was manufactured and a few other information.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

7. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

i dont see it under my product tab. which is strange, because i purchased a mac mini and a macbook pro 13 less than a year ago at the apple store and i don't see it there either, but i bought an ipad 2 and an iphone 4s, which was also less than a year ago and its shows up there.
    this is the first time i visited this apple support page to see my registered products and only see my iPhone and ipad there, and not my mac mini and macbook pro. all were purchased from the same apple store, but on different days.

8. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I've used the speck case for a while now and really enjoy it. It may scratch over time, but I'd rather have my 50 dollar case scratch than my 2000-3000 dollar laptop

9. soulniz macrumors member

10. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it easy to remove? I'm afraid the case will scratch the MacBook aluminum overtime from the dust that will collect inside. The Speck SATIN cases looks nice and sine it's more of a matte/rubber feeling, I don't think it would scratch the MacBook.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Exactly - Don't drop it and get a sleeve.

Never used those plastic covers. I just set my computer either on my sleeve or a clean area on the table. Always carry it in a sleeve when I put inside my messenger bag. Been doing this to all my Macs. No scratches. I do make sure I don't have any food on my hands when typing. Oh and clean it the same way I do with my iOS devices.

My favorite sleeves are the Timbuk2 Plush foam sleeve and Tucano Second Skin sleeve. The Tucano sleeve are weather proof.

12. apparition47 macrumors newbie

I have a Tucano second skin sleeve which is good enough to protect the laptop from scratching inside my bag. Personally, I'm not a fan of those plastic shell as they thermally insulate the laptop (and the MacBook can get hot enough as it is).

13. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I've used them on my past couple of macs and haven't had any issues of scratching. It's a snug fit but not that bad to remove. I see a lot of people that favor sleeves, which I guess I can see. Personally I'm not worried about scratching it when I'm transporting, just when I'm "handling" it day to day, moving it around my desk or from one work surface to another. Once the speck case goes on I have a lot more peace of mind (and I love the way it looks). I still take care of my investment, but it allows me to enjoy it without wearing kid gloves the whole time and worrying about cleaning every surface I put it on before I set it down.

To each their own, of course.

14. oryor macrumors newbie

If you want the protective film, please go for bestskinsever, it much cheaper comparing to other brand.

15. Maczor macrumors regular

I use this:

[​IMG]

You should try it out... protects from scratches, water and everything else.
    It might be tricky at first to fit it into your briefcase, but it's doable...

16. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

At home it is a Bookarc vertical stand from TwelveSouth. On the road it is in a Puma sleeve in the front pocket of my Lowepro proroller 200 camera bag. Needless to say, that bag is carryon only....never checked luggage.

17. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So far I ordered a iCarbons (top+bottom) & a keyboard protector from Amazon. I'm still debating if a Speck SATIN hard shell would be worth the purchase.