Recommendations for replacement batteries?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mattjc, May 28, 2015.

1. Mattjc macrumors newbie

So my macbook battery has depleted over the years until i've finally been faced with a 'service battery' warning on my battery tab.
    Obviously apple charge a load for replacement - has anyone fitted a new battery for a macbook pro themselves after buying it online? Was it cheap? How does it perform? and where from? (I used a mbp mid-2012 13").
    It's very hard to tell because Apple's opinion is obviously 'Don't do it yourself, let us do it, it's the only way'.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out OWC they sell replacement batteries I believe

3. magbarn macrumors 68000

It's easy to do, you just need a high quality phillips screwdriver and a tri-wing type I believe. My issue with 3rd party batteries is that they don't last as long as the real ones.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd recommend OEM.

I've seen first hand and heard/read too many horror stories with third party batteries catching fire, swelling or flat out dying in a matter of months.

Seriously though, you bought a premium laptop, don't cheap out on a battery that could cause problems with it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or power adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. It's not worth it to risk your $2000 MacBook on a non-Apple battery or power adapter, just to save a few bucks.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.