Recommendations for screen capture software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hakr, Feb 2, 2010.

1. hakr macrumors regular

I'm looking for screen cap software that will let me save screen shots as *.jpgs in a folder of my choice. For simple screen shots, I really don't want *.png files.

Hopefully, it can be invoked by a couple of keystrokes that bring up a "lasso" to capture the area I want and then save it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Already built-in. Screen Capture does what you want.
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/screencapturemac/ht/macscreenshot.htm

To change the default format for screencap images, in Terminal.app, type:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg (or whatever type you choose)​

To change the default folder for screencap images, in Terminal.app, type:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture location "/Users/~/Desktop/" (or whatever path you choose)​

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Download the Secrets prefpane and you can do all this by default with the built-in screen grab.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

SnapZPro, without a doubt. Ambrosia has been developing for the Mac for more than a decade and IMHO all of their stuff is well-thought-out and very effective.

SnapzPro lets you use a hotkey combination of your choice to bring up a dialogue and you can do screen capture, window capture, selectable capture (i.e. your "lasso" concept), or even video capture. I use that last feature a lot. I can capture any video on the screen no matter what file type and save it as a .mov.

5. hakr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all...I forgot about Secrets. Does what i want...

:p

6. srexy macrumors 6502a

You can also do cmd+ctrl+shift+4 which will put a cursor on your screen to drag out over the area you want captured. The capture goes on to your clipboard which you can then paste into preview (or any other graphics prog) by doing ctrl+N. Save in whatever format you want.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

For straight capture, built-in is best & easiest. For annotated captures, Skitch FTW!

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I use littlesnapper on my mac and snagit on the pc. Just so happens that snagit is offering an OSX beta so you can try that as well