Recommendations for slim case w/port covers for iPhone 5 ??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rmp71701, Nov 9, 2012.

1. rmp71701 macrumors member

IPhone 5 gets here in 8 days, & I'm wanting to have a case ready to go. I've had an Otterbox Commuter on my iPhone 4s for a year. It's been pretty good for protection but didn't fit as snug or as comfortably as I'd hoped. I don't have the $$ to go thru cases looking for perfect one, so I just settled with what I had. It's also why I rely heavily on forums to see what has worked for others.

For me & how I carry/use the phone, one nice feature of Commuter was the port covers. Really helps with keeping lint/dust/dirt out of places where that stuff can do damage, over time. In light of this, I'd like my next case to have port covers too, but still maintain a slim design & good protection. Before just taking my chances w/another Commuter, I'm curious what else is out there w/port covers that has a good track record for drop protection, without bulk like the Defender, etc.

Many thanks for your 2 cents...

2. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

I have the switch easy nude I like it and I usually hate cases, its very slim and it has bottom port covers, it comes with two in case you lose one and this gives it full all around protection I didn't even know about this feature until I got the case, it doesn't have a lip on the front because its a very minimal case so you need a front screen protector, shock absorption is good because it has a band on each side so the phone doesnt actually touch the case on the four corners so the case absorbs the shock on the corners not the phone, I got mine on ebay from a person that had a best offer option and got it for 17 dollars shipped.

I have it in ultra black with a black iphone 5, the case is glossy and will probably scratch some but it says it has a scratch resistent coating and mine hasnt really scratched yet and I keep it in my pocket and use it when I workout, for some reason they only have really girly colors in the matte finish, dunno why.

3. christof macrumors 6502

4. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

Thats a cool looking bumper is it plastic?

5. rmp71701 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I had thought about the option of just buying port covers separate from the case. I was steering away from this option under the premise that it's one more thing to keep up with whenever I remove the covers to use one of the ports (which I of course do on a daily basis). For me personally, there's a lot of advantage to having the covers integrated into the case. But I'll for sure keep this in mind.

6. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

Switcheasy tones case that comes with port covers but they are really hard to take off. Unless I'm missing something I don't see how anybody can use them. I have to pull the case out away from the bottom of the phone just to get the port covers off. Maybe there is an easier way but I haven't found it. The Tones case is pretty nice though.

7. Kisey macrumors 6502a

I recently got the Acase Superleggera but it won't fit properly because I have a full body protector on my phone. I like the case since it's not huge like an Otterbox and it has the integrated port covers. I guess I'll have to use it when I decide to peel off my side and back protectors. Luckily it was only $1.xx :D Let me know if you come across any other slim cases with port covers, though. I hate getting dust in the ports.

8. zybersniper macrumors member

Just get the dust plugs separately from Deal Extreme as they are dirt cheap and wouldn't cost too much to replace if you do loose them. Integrated port covers would probably make the cover thick and not too attractive for such a slim phone.