Recommendations for upgrading 2010 Macbook Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jmthigpen, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jmthigpen macrumors regular

Title says it all...

I have a 2010 white macbook and need to upgrade the stock 250GB hard drive...500GB or more is needed.

Please reply with your successes or recommendations..

Thx!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, Western Digital makes good drives, but they are all pretty similar. I would just check out newegg and see what the best deal is. You just need a 2.5" SATA hard drive with 12.5mm or smaller height.

3. benchlegs macrumors member

benchlegs

Depends on your budget. If you have the money I would get an SSD. you would be amazed at the speed. My intel 120 was about $230 and worth every penny.

4. jskee macrumors newbie

I got one question, if he were to upgrade to a SSD, is there trim support? As in natively by Apple, not by a 3rd party software.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

500GB SSD? Did he win the lottery?

As for traditional hard drives you can't go wrong with Hitachi or Seagate. The Seagate Momentus XT is available as a 500GB and has the hybrid SSD cache thing that speeds up commonly accessed applications.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Hitachi? I've not had good experience with them... I've had about 3 of their drives die, while I've never had a WD or Seagate die. I know it's not a question of if, but of when, but still. I don't trust Hitachi, but as always YMMV.

My vote is for Western Digital or Seagate, in that order. Find something that's 7200 rpm as well, they're much faster than 5400 rpm drives.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's always YMMV. I'm basing my opinion off experience. We issue hundreds of Lenovo laptops a year at work. They tend to fit Hitachi and Seagate drives as preference and there is the odd batch with WD or Fujitsu. 90% of the time if the machine has a hard drive problem in warranty it's a WD. That's good enough for me.

I've also never seen a portable Mac with a WD drive. Desktops - yes. The laptops are usually Hitachi or Seagate.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You're quite right about YMMV. My experience seems to be the opposite of yours. At the HelpDesk at the college I went to, we dealt primarily with ThinkPads (IBM for a while, then Lenovo). All of our HDDs were Hitachis and they failed quite often. I popped a WD in mine and never had a problem, though I had 3 Hitachi drives fail on my computer alone.

To be clear, you're talking about stock HDDs, right?

We're in agreement that YMMV when it comes to HDD brands.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

We've been using ThinkPad T & X series for 7+ years. Depends how often the kit is replaced but after 3 years you expect a certain number of age related failures with mechanical HDDs. We've seen nothing unusual from the Hitachi's. Back in the IBM days 90% of then came with Hitachi's with them being a sister company, it's less now.

Stock HDDs - Yes.

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would go with a scorpio drive, they receive great reviews. a scorpio blue if you don't want an rpm upgrade and a scorpio black (7200) if you do. either should have both 500gb or 750gb storage space options.