Recommendations for USB External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ade Lewis, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Ade Lewis macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have recently purchased Western Digital USB hard drive to use as a back up disk in case one of the mac goes down. I have a Intel MacBook and a G5 PPC. The MacBook will back up from this disc fine but the G5 won't.

After reading up on the internet I have found out that this is a well known problem between the Western Digital Drives and the G5.

Can anyone recommend an external usb drive that they know to work with the G5 ? one that it can be used as a start up disc.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Try SeaGate drives. Or Hitachi. SeaGate is the industry leader in hard drives and Apple uses Hitachi drives for all it's computers. Just buy an external drive, rip off the enclosure and plug/play into the G5.

3. Ade Lewis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the info. I can't take the WD external drive back unfortunately now as I have formatted it so it looks like a visit to ebay !

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Hold on a sec... there is some critical information being left out here. The G5 (like all PowerPC hardware) cannot boot off of USB disks, only FireWire-based ones. Even if you got a FireWire drive, you can't use it to boot both computers*, because they require different partition schemes.

If you want backup for both computers, I think the best bet in this situation is to keep using the drive you have for the MacBook, and get a FireWire-based drive for the G5.

* Just FYI, I have heard of very complicated, unsupported ways of creating a drive that can boot both PPC and Intel Macs. I wouldn't entrust my data to such an arrangement, so I'll leave any searching of the internets to you.