Recommendations for Visual-centric Web Site Development for the Layman

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by anthrovisual, Mar 3, 2010.

1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

Hey everyone. I am working on developing a web site for my self-starter one-man organization that involves a lot of visual content (photography, short videos, graphics) and would like to include as much interaction with visitors as possible (i.e. visitors can post, comment, etc.). That is to say, the emphasis will be lots of visuals and community feedback that is super user-friendly.

Problem is I do not know a whole lot about coding and would prefer to use an application that can do the coding for me while I handle the layout and visual aspect. I know of a few choices (iWeb, Rapidweaver, Sandvox, Freeway) and would like to hear what you would recommend for my particular requirements. I may one day learn code, especially as it becomes necessary and so the ability to expand would be helpful, but I need something that would work for me now too.

Thank you for your help.

2. Maxington macrumors 6502

Consider using wordpress as a solution. There are a ton of plugins that can help you add content and other features.

It's a simply solution that offers allows you to easily get to the content without working about the coding.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'll second WordPress. If you don't know any web design, don't use a web design tool, because you won't end up with anything worthwhile.

4. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I have worked a little with Wordpress and haven't given it serious thought until now. My main concern is that while I have very little experience with web sites, I do have experience with design and would like to have plenty of room to design the visual layout and interaction with the site. Does Wordpress allow this sort of visual freedom and is it easy to work with?

This is actual why I started considering apps like iWeb, Rapidweaver, etc., because of the creative leverage they seem to allow (though, I could be completely underestimating Wordpress).

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

WordPress is very powerful and customizable. All you really need to know to edit a theme is html/css, which you should learn the tenets of anyways.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

With the way WordPress is developed, it is customizeable to fit into any layout style, but does require knowledge of HTML, CSS, and maybe some PHP. Otherwise, you'll need to find a pre-built theme that meets your needs. There are many themes out there, both free and paid for.

7. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

So perhaps in the long run, Wordpress will serve my needs when I learn CSS/HTML/PHP/... but in the short run I'm still looking for the best way to build a web site visually.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Then go with iWeb or Freeway, but you likely won't be able to have the visitor feedback setup like you want, or at all. With experience comes greater possibilities, but until you're there, these apps are likely what you want.

9. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

Checking out Wordpress and it looks like there could be an issue with hosting it on MobileMe, requiring me to hack it. Is this true?

I was hoping to also host this site with MobileMe since I have the service. Is that impossible?

If I can't "hack it" with Wordpress, I will likely start with Freeway and as I develop my coding skills, migrate to Wordpress or whatever, but not if I can't host it on MobileMe. :confused:

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

WordPress requires PHP, and MobileMe has no server-side processing of any language at all. That makes it very unusable if you want to have user feedback on your site. iWeb + MobileMe has some commenting capabilities, but not as feature-rich as you can get on a better host. I don't know off-hand how Freeway's code comes out and if it does commenting type things, but if it requires anything other than HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, it will not work on MobileMe.

11. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

That's too bad to hear about MobileMe, though I guess it was not intended for more complex coding.

I will see how far I can get with hosting on MobileMe and if it is too restrictive, then I'll switch hosts and likely switch to Wordpress in the long run.

Thank you everyone for your help.