Recommendations for Voice Recording

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bern, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I want to use my MBP to record interviews. I don't want to depend on the internal microphone and I'm not sure what software to use. The interviews will go to podcasts and be posted as Flash, QT or whatever files on a website. Could you recommend a reliable microphone and software to do the actual voice recordings with? Thanks

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

What're you looking to spend?

For a podcast, it seems to me that you would want good voice quality. And if you're conducting interviews, you'll want something with high gain so that it'll pick up conversation from both sides of the table. Also, you'll want something USB for ease-of-setup.

Given that, I'd recommend some type of USB condenser mic. The MXL USB .006 comes to mind. It's a USB condenser mic with multiple gain levels, and it comes with a small stand, a pop filter (which you won't need unless you're really close to the mic), and a carrying case. Seems to fit the bill.

If that's too expensive, Samson makes a few cheaper USB condenser mic's like the CU01 and the CU03 that you could check out.

I'd just use garageband to record the interviews, then use other software to convert the AIFF files to whatever you desire.

3. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Okay cool, now how about if I decide something more portable like if I wanted to go out on the street and do interviews that way? Obviously it would be a bit of a juggle to have my MBP balanced in one hand and a mic in the other.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

In that case, you would not want a condenser mic, as its sensitivity would pick up every detail of the surroundings (car noise, other people's conversations, etc.) that you couldn't edit out. In that case, you'd want a USB dynamic microphone, and since you'd be moving it in close proximity from your mouth to theirs, in an outside environment, you'll probably want a windscreen.

I don't have any experience with USB dynamic mics, but after a quick search I came up with this one. I have never used this mic, but I have used a samson USB condenser, and it worked perfectly with garageband.

5. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Yo, I'm looking for some voice recording software and i want to use the inbuilt mic on my MacBook, anybody have any suggestions?

I don't need to make a podcast or anything I just want to record lecture notes from my mac, I sit at the front anyway so I should get a clear sound.

7. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I don't know whether or not this might be the kind of thing you're looking for, but I use an Olympus digital voice recorder and its accompanying Mac OSX software. (I have the DS-2 and love it, but there are probably newer models by now.) The recorder itself is elegant, small, lightweight, unobtrusive, intuitive, and so far flawless. It comes with a leatherette belt-loop carrying case--nice. So I'll record an interview or whatever; dock the recorder in its USB dock; it mounts on my desktop; I open the DSS Player software (included in the package); and simply drag the files I want from the recorder to my computer. Since they're encoded as .wma, they can be listened to using either the DSS player or Windows Media Player. Easy-peasy. The quality of record and playback is pretty good, too. I use this thing for everything from interviews to quick reminder notes to recording a funeral for a friend who couldn't be there to capturing soundscapes of a Tibetan monastery at 2 a.m. (blatty Tibetan horns, far-off dogs, and calls to puja). I love this little sidekick! The only thing it doesn't do is transcribe interviews and lectures for me... oh well...
    Good luck determining what works for you!

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

GarageBand should do anything that you could want.

9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Ok cheers, I didn't know that, i always remove it from the installation whenever i upgrade or reformat! :) Thanks.

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Quicktime Pro is the easiest, but you might get better results with voice recording on a mobile phone - the internal mic picks up your typing quite loudly

For QT Pro the workflow is;
    Record your notes
    Export to AIFF
    Import to iTunes
    Convert to whatever format you want (to save space)

Automator can do steps 2-4 for you, so it's very easy.

11. mr.666 macrumors member

wohaaa!

back up... "voice recording" and "Podcast" thats it. ya'll are going in so many directions.

Buy
    1 a shure sm57 or 58
    2 a xlr male to 1/4 in cable (length of your choice)
    3 a 1/4 fem to 1/8 mini male adapter

and

use FREE software
    http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html

either
    Audio Recorder 3.1
    or
    Audacity

done.

12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I just want to sit at the front of a lecture and record the lecturers voice with the laptop and not a mic. GarageBand will suffice, thanks though.

13. mr.666 macrumors member

garage band is way mor than you need. seriously try audio recorder. it couldnt be simplier! saves files as mp4's. small files, + quality.

14. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I can't find this app, know of anywhere else to get it?

15. mwysolme macrumors newbie