Recommendations from everyone?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by darnovo, Feb 24, 2015.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

I currently have a 15" rMBP 16GB RAM 2.3 i7 and I am trying to decide between getting a Thunderbolt display to hook up at my desk with this or just get the RiMac... I think if the TBD was 5k then it would be no contest but at the moment the resolution wouldn't match with the current TBD and I also don't think 1000$ is worth 4 year old technology.

That being said it doesn't look like the TBD is getting updated anytime soon (or is it?) but spending another 3k on a decked out iMac is a big decision too. So that being said, are the 5k RiMacs worth it, are they awesome machines or are they having tons of issues and I should just keep waiting for now?

Thanks!

2. shaunp macrumors 65816

Get the thunderbolt display and wait for the 2nd generation 5k iMac, then use the thunderbolt display as a 2nd monitor on the iMac.

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

Recommendations from everyone?

If at all, I'd bet the TBD will be updated when Thunderbolt 3 is put into Macs. And that it'll use the same displays as in the 5K iMacs - 5120x2880.

Of course, the price of them will also jump significantly. And your MBP will not be able to run it at 5K. In fact, no Mac ever made will be able to without a hack - including the current Mac Pro - only the upcoming Thunderbolt 3 Macs would be compatible out of the box.

All speculation, of course.

The 5K iMac is fine, in general. It does have thermal throttling issues on the GPU and CPU on the i7/M295X BTO build when under load.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I'm happy with my 5k iMac. It is an awesome machine. I moved up from 13''/15'' MBPs: More power, finally a strong GPU, better viewing angles, no heat and no noise directly under my fingers.

5. andy9l macrumors 68000

Have you got the i5/M290X Thunder? Purely out of interest.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I would not recommend getting a Thunderbolt display now since it has not been updated since 2011, and for use as a second display with a 5K iMac the difference in quality will be noticeable.

----------

Very nice, I moved up from a 15" mid 2012 rMBP and kept my 13" late 2013 for portability.

7. darnovo thread starter macrumors regular

i have the i7 ... that's good to know that my MBP won't be able to use a 5k TBD

8. cynics macrumors G3

People have been saying that since 2012.

9. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

If it were me, I'd at least consider a non-Apple display. The new Apple TBD may never come. Even if it does eventually come, it will have very limited (or no) choices in terms of screen size and glossy vs. matte. The one thing for certain is that it will be quite expensive relative to the comparable alternatives.

I'd look at existing 4K displays from Asus, Dell, etc. etc. It seems that you can get a nice one - right now - for about $500.