Recommendations on a USB-C hub?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikel30, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

I'm looking for a USB-C hub that has USB-C passthru (for charging), HDMI, and USB A 3.0. I know Apple sells an adapter but the $80 price tag is a killer. I've looked through Monoprice and Amazon. Are there any 3rd party hubs with these features that are worthwhile? A few people have mentioned that some of them can get pretty hot or crap out completely.

2. deeddawg, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. mmthor macrumors newbie

I got my genuine Apple adapter for $40 on eBay. It was not new, but was from a seemingly legit reseller of customer returns, refurbs, etc. They had a return policy that allowed returns, so I wasn't worried about it being DOA. Works fine. Point is, you don't have to pay $80, which I agree is way too high.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Fixed. Thanks for the kind and helpful correction.

5. Mikel30 thread starter macrumors member

I bought a "genuine" Apple iPhone case on eBay once. When it arrived it was clearly counterfeit and the seller "had no idea" how they ended up with counterfeit merchandise. So I tend not to trust any "authentic" Apple accessories on eBay, especially not one with power flowing through it that could potentially fry my computer.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Correct, I don't believe any of the various Apple USBC adapters have an SD card reader.

Several third party hubs do have card reader slots.

Alternately you can get USBC or USB3 card readers pretty cheap too. This $7 version works well. You can pair it with this great $11 USB adapter or just get a single unit for $11 that does both USBC and USB3.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I can't imagine why not, but it still seems like you're strangely attached to that solution to a problem you don't yet have.

8. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

I was hoping to get a mini drive as I've heard it transforms into a red and blue truck! Need to move a sofa on the weekend.