recommendations on laser printer: home use, color printing, duplex, airprint

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jacquesrk, Oct 11, 2013.

1. jacquesrk macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a new printer with AirPrint so I can print from the iPad, iPhone (maybe even iPod Touch) as well as the iMac and the MacBook.

Here is what I would like:
    • not too big - this is for home use, not an office. My current inkjet printer fits into a compartment in our desk. The printer is hidden behind a door, on a pull out shelf.
    • AirPrint
    • color (photos should look OK, don't have to be professional quality, but good enough to frame and put on the wall)
    • duplex printing

I have done several searches and it's not easy to even find a printer that matches all those requirements. Since the printer will be right next to the iMac, it would be a plus if we could also connect the printer to the iMac via USB.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I recently got an Okidata C531DN, which has everything you're looking for except AirPrint (well, maybe "Compact" depends on the eye of the beholder. It's compact compared to my old C6000DN). I use handyPrint on my Mac Mini as an AirPrint-emulator, so that resolves the AirPrint issue.

3. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Duplexing will add to both the expense and the likelihood of a paper path failure. I would only go that route if it is seriously needed. One other suggestion is that you look for a printer that has off-brand cartridges available to save some scratch. I just replaced a Samsung CLP-365W with an HP laserjet pro 200. No duplexing, but it does all the other things including airprint, it was dirt simple to set up and there are 3rd party refilled cartridges available with reset chips. The Samsung only lasted 9 months with our printing load before the drum started bleeding magenta all over any color prints at half the lifetime of the drum. Previously, I had a Samsung CLP-315W that was great, and before that, an HP 2600 Color LaserJet. At this point, I use the printer until there is a major failure (like the drum), then look at the cost of the replacement parts versus a new printer. Generally, the new printer wins. (Although, nine months is a serious disappointment for the CLP-365W.)

[Edit] I have yet to see a home/office laser printer do justice to printing photos. Most inkjets are way better at photo printing. Small and color laser is not going to happen.

Good luck with your search.

4. jacquesrk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice so far. I have looked at inkjet printers, but the problem I have with those is
    - the high cost of those ink cartridges
    - most of them are all-in-one printers, and I don't need an all-in-one printer.

I might buy the bullet and buy another inkjet printer if I don't find what I want in a laser printer.

5. Giuly, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Epson claims a cost of ownership that's 40% lower than a color laser for the WorkForce WF-3540.

Yet they're still less expensive and more compact than the most basic laser printer.

The Brother HL-3710CDW does pretty much everything you want but like most other laser printers, the "compactness" lays in within the eye of the beholder.

[​IMG]

6. jacquesrk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the tip Giuly. My inkjet printers have always been Epson or Canon, and I'm not too sure about the "Brother" brand, but I will definitely investigate those two printers.