Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I have a 27 inch iMac (2017) bootcamped with Windows. From a pure macOS standpoint, it is way more than I need. All I use the macOS for is basic work, some photo and video editing and surfing....nothing intensive. I game via bootcamp (which is why I went with that model as I wanted macOS but also wanted to be able to game). I have a fairly voluminous photos collection.

One of the frustrations is I cannot hook my work laptop up to the iMac as target display mode is not supported.

I'm considering switching things up, selling the iMac, getting a dedicated windows machine, a mac mini and a new 27-34 inch dual HDMI input monitor, so that I can hook up both the mini, Windows machine and at times my work laptop.

I'd also considered just getting a windows machine and monitor, in addition to my iMac, but that takes up a lot of space.

Anyone doing something similar and if so, any recommendations on a mini (spec wise); external SSD for storage for pics and videos and monitor?

Thanks

rmdeluca

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
The Mac Mini is good enough to game with using an eGPU. Get the i7 Mini and an RTX2080 or better GPU and you’re good to go for anything except true 4K at ultra settings. That’s still cheaper than a separate Windows box.

A dual input monitor is the way to go with that setup IMO until proper Mojave NVIDIA drivers become available. This is how I do it.

Reactions: F-Train and robjulo

robjulo

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Good input...hadn't even thought of doing that.

Thank you!

The Mac Mini is good enough to game with using an eGPU. Get the i7 Mini and an RTX2080 or better GPU and you’re good to go for anything except true 4K at ultra settings. That’s still cheaper than a separate Windows box.

A dual input monitor is the way to go with that setup IMO until proper Mojave NVIDIA drivers become available. This is how I do it.

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Alot depends on what resolution you want to use. If you want a 2.5k setup then a separate PC is viable with a 1060 6GB GPU and a complete PC i5, 16, 1060 6GB can be purchased at Microcenter for 800 bucks. Thats about the price for a 2080 and it still needs the enclosure.

Im hoping to one day get rid of the gamer box and just use a Mini with bootcamp and an eGPU. Right now it seems as tho there are too many "work arounds" needed to make an Nvidia GPU work with bootcamp for me to bother with. Sticking with separate boxes and a KVM switch for now.

The take away is a KVM switch has alowed me to satisfy my Mac needs and my PC gaming desires for many years using just one Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse while keeping the foot print small.

EDIT: The set up mentioned would work well if you added a USB switch to switch the KB and mouse between the Mini and PC. Switch the input on the monitor and your off and running. That large of a monitor and your looking at 4K me thinks.

Good input...hadn't even thought of doing that.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.