Recommendations on taking notes on MacbookPro or other apple device

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maggie.gf, Jul 12, 2013.

1. maggie.gf macrumors newbie

About me:

I am a chemical engineering student. I'll be taking

- Physical Chemistry
    - Statistics
    - Transport Phenomena
    - Analytical Biology next year.

I currently have a Macbook Pro 13" and an Iphone 5. I am willing to buy another product or software for school.

What I need:

After reading comments about my professors I've discovered most of them post online notes (I'm guessing powerpoints) which they use to teach class, most students print them or only annotate the important points on a notebook, I've seen some write on their laptop or notepad. I'm trying to find the most efficient way to take notes.

I also commute to school so I'd like to carry less notes to class.

Some ideas:

Buy a Notepad or an Ipad and write notes directly on the powerpoints

Cons: Smaller than a notebook, and not sure how well notes would look (equations, graphs etc.)
    Pros: Easier to draw an equation or graph

Write on the powerpoints on my Macbook

Cons: Would have to find an efficient way to write equations, plots and notes to the lecture notes, I do not like the keyboard sound on a silent classroom, would have to work on my typing skills
    Pros: Bigger screen,

LiveScribe

http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

If you have any other suggestions or experiences you'd like to share please do. I am relatively new to the apple family, and so far I am greatly impressed. I want to make the most out of my apple products in school and take good notes as an engineering student.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. maggie.gf thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you tried or heard any comments on livescribe?

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It works very well, but the cons are that you need a wired connection to sync notes and notebooks are expensive.

5. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I would also check out Evernote. You can get notebooks that work extremely well to input into Evernote but it will also input any notebook page. If your handwriting is decent it will even run OCR on your handwritten notes to make them searchable.

6. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

You download Evernote for your research, it has a good eco system with apps it interact with, it is as cross platform as can be, and for your personal "stuff" to remember you sign up for a springpad account.

7. xt3rm macrumors newbie

Evernote is great.

I find revisiting recorded lectures time consuming, and never end up doing it. However you do need to type fast enough to keep up.

It's quite amusing to hear the roar of a classroom of keyboards typing after each sentence an instructor says.

8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

how does it compare to microsoft onenote?