Recommendations requested for running OpenBSD on 2011 Mac mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by anonymouse99, Dec 13, 2014.

1. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

Greetings!

I'm looking for recommendations on running OpenBSD using a VM on my 2011 Mac Mini. My choices currently are VMWare 7, Parallels 10 but I'm open to others. I'm not looking for making too many tweaks/workarounds in OpenBSD ... My goal is to run DNS, squid etc. and not wanting to buy a separate machine for it.

I am also interested to know if choice of SSD matters? I have a 480Gb Crucial M500, but I can also get a different one if it really would make a significant performance difference. Currently I have 8GB RAM in it and may be looking to upgrade that to 16GB at some point.

Many thanks! :D

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your only other choice AFAIK os Oracle's VirtualBox which is free.

Since Vmware and Parallels offer a trial period, try both and see what you think. Since VB is free, you can play with that as well.

I prefer Vmware because of the stability and support, but it really boils down to personal preference.

3. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks!

Does the choice of SSD matter when running a VM (MacOS, Vmware, OpenBSD) ? I'll leave my machine turned on 24 x 7 - would it be better to get a higher grade SSD or will something like a Crucial M500 work?

4. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I don't believe the choice of SSD will matter if you're running it in a VM. The only time it might make a difference is if you installed OpenBSD natively, as it doesn't support Trim yet. In that case, a drive with good garbage collection would be preferable, but most modern SSDs will handle that pretty well.