Recommendations to Full system Backup software.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by om3ga785, Feb 11, 2009.

1. om3ga785 macrumors member

Need some recommendations to doing full image backups of my entire hard drive.

I currently use Acronis TrueImage 11 for my PC's but since i have a Macbook, i need to be able to backup both my HFSJ partition (OS X) and my NTFS boot camp partition (Vista).

Acronis TI does not read HFSJ partitons and will only backup my NTFS partition.

Simply put. I want to have backup images of my entire drive in the event my drive takes a dump.

any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. om3ga785 thread starter macrumors member

I've searched all over both MRoogle and Google, but i haven't came up with anything relating to my issue.

I simply need a Disk Image Program that will take a snap shot of my ENTIRE drive. simply put, if my drive goes, i have ONE entire image file (does not need to be bootable) that i can simply restore to a new hard drive IF deemed so.

I've tried CCC and SuperDuper, but it won't read my external drive which is formatted in NTFS. i cannot wipe out my external to change it to MAC formatted. i have too much data that i need when im connecting it to Windows PC's.

Worse case i'll just get another external drive and format that as a HFSJ drive.

4. petemwah macrumors regular

surprised noone's mentioned time machine here? i was dubious, but love it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not going to work on an NTFS-formatted drive. Mac OS can't write to NTFS.. only read.

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

This is somewhat complex since you want a disk level backup.

See http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/12/0353215 for several ideas. A bit more is at http://www.bombich.com/mactips/dualboot.html

Also see http://www.disk-image.net/features.htm -- it appears (i.e., I have no personal experience) it can do the job.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just make it simple- use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Mac partition and WinClone for the BootCamp partition (both excellent free Mac apps). There will be two parts to the backup, but will provide full exact restoration of the original two partitons.

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Get MacDrive for your PC or Paragon NTFS for your Mac. This will allow you to write on HFS, NTFS respectively. NTFS-3G is a free but tough option for Mac.

If this doesnt suite.. get CCC as mentioned above!

Or use a network attached xHDD or NAS drive! The built in SMB client (thats what it is I believe) allows write operations on NTFS through ethernet or WiFi!!!!

Now I hope I was able to understand your problem... some one is mentioning 'BootCamp', someone else Drive Image ??? o_O