Recommended 22" Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joanjr, Jan 4, 2011.

1. joanjr, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

joanjr macrumors newbie

Have just purchased a Mac Pro w/ OSX.6 and my A. Cinema Display needs a DVI to ADC connector which looks like about $100. I'm wondering if its better to get a newer flat screen w/ DVI monitor but want to only spend less than $200. I LOVE my Apple monitor so I'm very nervous about buying something else (Samsung, HP, Dell — no clue!).
    Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
    many thanks!

2. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Why does your ACD need a $100 adapter? The 2010 Mac Pros have a DVI port that you can hook up to straight away, or if you're using that already you can simply buy an active MDP to DVI adapter from a third party for $20-30.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

He's talking about ADC, which requires an adapter. Last Mac that shipped with an ADC port was the early G5. And the adapter does indeed cost $100 at Apple.
    There are, however, third party adapters for $30 out there.

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

D'oh, that's me not reading the ADC part. But yes, third party adapter all the way - I used one with my 20" ADC display years ago and it worked fine.

6. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

When I bought my MacPro in 2009, I had the same dilemma. I decided to buy the adapter since I liked my Apple Cinema Display. However, I was not able to find any 3rd party adapters and bought the Apple one for about $90.

We recently bought my wife a Mac Mini and we got the following monitor for her:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2...CDLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294237569&sr=8-1

I think my monitor has slightly higher image quality, but the Viewsonic is a pretty darn good monitor for the price. I guess I have a hard time recommending the adapter when you can get a new monitor for only about $70 more. Besides, you can probably get $50-100 by selling your ADC monitor on Craigslist (there have got to be people with old G4 and G5 Macs who can use the ADC interface).