Recommended Accessories for the NEW Penryn MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lexlix, Feb 28, 2008.

1. lexlix macrumors newbie

***I had to scan a bunch of threads to find the info I needed and it's still not conclusive. Thought I'd begin this thread bc I'm prob not the only person with these concerns***

Can people contribute to this thread with their recommended accessories for the NEW Penryn MBP? (ex. keyboard skin, case covers, etc. There a lot of mixed reviews on these products)

And will the existing cases, keyboard skins, and other accessories fit the new models? (seems like shape-wise everything stayed the same but I just want to make sure)

Thanks in advance!

2. CrashMelb macrumors newbie

Thanks - this is also what I was looking for! Let the suggestions begin..

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I spoke to couple of geniuses about those clear plastic protective covers, and even though they didnt say outright that they suck ass, they did lean towards that you better off taking care of your MBP w/o the plastic covers because they'd only put extra strain on fans by trapping extra heat.

Im thinking of getting an iLap to use at home and a properly padded shoulder bag to carry my MBP (havent chosen which one yet though). Also probably will get DVI to HDMI connector to hook up mbp to my lcd tv.

Also I have a question since the new MBPs use 811.12n, and my wireless router only supports b/g, I take it its not going to work on any router besides that provides 811.12n right? (I guess the question can be asked whether mbp is backwards compatible with older protocols)

Lastly perhaps an external HD might be a good idea, but that could wait.

4. Baderous macrumors newbie

5. lexlix thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice! I called apple in regard to my order earlier today and i asked if the old accessories will work with the new computers and they said they would. :eek:

6. huussi macrumors member

well, my mbp is going to be my only machine (replacing my current pc desktop).

what i ordered so far:
    mbp (obviously)
    4GB ram
    griffin elevator
    incase bag

what i already have:
    apple keyboard
    razer deathadder
    amp, speakers, headphones
    external HDDs

don't think i will bother with protective covers etc.

i wonder what else i could buy ;)

7. AndyFL macrumors regular

Has anyone found the new Penryn-compatible mouse? Or the Penryn lap desk? I can't find this stuff anywhere! Argh!

/sarcasm off

8. GAS macrumors regular

Best post in this thread :D

9. bamf macrumors 6502

Yes, it will work with 802.11b/g.

10. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

A good mouse would be an excellent purchase. I tried both the BTMM and RX before returning one to the store.

12. P.B. macrumors member

Do the old Apple Remotes work with the new Penryn MBP?

13. Storm9 macrumors member

wtf? why wouldnt they? You do realize everything about the MBP is the same except some inards relating to CPU and broadcom chip for multitouch.

14. AndyFL macrumors regular

Apparently not....as the OP says:

"I had to scan a bunch of threads to find the info I needed and it's still not conclusive"

:rolleyes:

I mean, it's not like the specs and the comparisons down to the screw-head have been plastered on virtually every Mac site..........

15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

NO.. the new MBP is BETTEREST/HUGEST/LIGHTEST than the SR MBP
    the SR MBP CANNOT surf the internet, play itunes, edit video.. mediocre graphics card.. to sum it up.. since TUES.. all SR MBP turned into a paper weight... to upgrade is the only option here...:D:D
    then come june/august upgrade again..
    or ELSE.. STEVE will be MAD!
    we have to foooollow his thinking... no questions asked!:eek:

i own a SR MBP by the way:D

16. AndyFL macrumors regular

Nope, you'll also need the new Apple Remote (which should now be shipping), with the Penryn micro-chipset inside.

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Dont get this "penryn accessories" there same as any other MBP

18. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

all accesories that were released prior to feb 26 will not work on the penryn MBP:D
    even your sleeve, or shoulder bag that say's it can fit a 15.4 MBP.. wont work either..
    check first on the labels if they're PENRYN compatible.. APPLE certified or JOBS approved..
    failing to do so will affect your MBP's performance dramatically.:D

19. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you have to buy a new Ipod as well..
    and all those music and videos in your library... oh well,.. to bad..
    u have to purchase ALL of them again!:D

20. chinarider macrumors regular

Not so fast! I'm selling firmware upgrades that will work with ALL Sleeves and bags to upgrade them to be penryn-compatible.

Just $20 per item. Why buy all new stuff?

21. P.B. macrumors member

Are these available at the same place where they sell iPod nano 3G and iPod classic Remotes?

The Apple Remote is not working with those, so it wouldn't be the first strange decision by Apple. Or can you explain to me why it's not working with the above devices?

22. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i have to say..in this forum.. everything as in EVERYTHING"should be taken with a grain of salt:apple:

23. P.B. macrumors member

i'm sorry. as i'm not a native speaker i'm not familiar with this expression. if you mean to say that the penryn-remote comment was meant sarcastic: i was very well aware of that, so was my response.

24. Sdao macrumors 6502

are they designing "penryn only" accessories? :eek:

Put me down for a new penryn MBP laptop stand. My old stand is not compatible.

25. lexlix thread starter macrumors newbie

to AndyFL and MarkRivers and whoever else is on their mac fanboy high horse rolling their eyes at us newbies: some of us do not follow every single thread in this forum and are not technologically aware enough to know definitively whether the penryn updates upsets compatibility with existing accessories. it is a fair question to ask since i've read conflicting statements from know it alls like yourselves on this very forum.

if you know. then share the knowledge. and we will appreciate you, thank you, and all be better consumers because of it. that's what these forums are for. your sarcasm and rudeness is not necessary nor appreciated (except by yourselves).