Recommended All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Fax?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Argelius, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

Anyone care to offer a recommendation for a Mac-compatible all-in-one (printer/copier/scanner/ +/-fax)?

I am thinking about the Canon PIXMA MX860. My only concern about it is I currently have a (much) older Canon that uses Canon's MP Navigator 2.0 software and I find it somewhat clunky and buggy (and the included OCR is crappy).

Curious if anyone knows if the MX860 comes with better Mac software. Or if there are better alternatives to this all-in-one.

Thanks.

2. cube macrumors G5

The MX860 is wireless but it doesn't print discs.

The MX850 is only wired, but it prints discs. It is also a known quantity.

I was goging to the the MX850, but the feeder does not do double-sided for fax, and while it's possible to fax from Windows, one cannot fax from Mac.
    I think the MX860 might have these same issues.

Because of these issues, in the end I gambled and got the brand new HP Photosmart Premium All-In-One with Fax C309a. I have only done 1 double sided copy, and printed a couple double-sided manuals, and no jams so far.
    To print images in normal paper, I found out one has to choose "Best" quality, otherwise one can see some printing section bands. I like the prints on photo paper, although I have no experience with other modern inkjets.
    So I am quite happy so far about getting a more complete device.

I cannot comment on ink consumption. I don't know if the cartridges that came are standard, or they are bundle tanks with less capacity. I already started changing them after those couple manuals and some photo tests.

With this HP, one can also use XL cartridges to save some money, if you print frequently.

3. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks, cube!

I didn't realize the Canon doesn't fax with Mac. While the fax is probably the least important of the "all-in-one" functions for me, I think I might look around some more.

Frustrating that Canon (and other's) websites are so scant with their info about Mac compatibility. There's no indication that printer can't fax via Mac...

4. cube macrumors G5

The only inkjets with duplex ADF that I found were the Canons.

That is, until the HP C309 came out.

One finds many references to "duplex copy" in some printers, only meaning that they can combine 2 original single-sided pages into 1 double-sided page.