Recommended Bootcamp partition size for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by novice1234, Mar 27, 2012.

1. novice1234 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am going through the process of setting up bootcamp and i would like to know how many GB i should allocate to windows? I have a new macbook pro 15inch. I will be installing the 64-bit windows 7 and intend to use it for Revit, auto cad, photoshop etc.

I would appreciate it if anyone can recommend how much space to allocate?! As I have no clue on these things.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It really depends on your needs and that of the applications. I'd go no smaller then 40gb. Windows 7 x64 requires at least 20gb add in the fact of the patches and you'll want some room to grow. 40GB seems safe, but then you need to consider the space requirements for your apps and data.

Does an additional 20gb seem sufficient for your apps, making the total size 60gb? I'd probably go with that, but I have no idea how much space you'll need for Revit, auto cad, photoshop.

3. cagen macrumors newbie

windows always uses up huge amounts of storage in my experience.... i am currently going with 100gb for my windows 7 partition.....

20 gb for windows, some space for Dota2, office, BI systems, ERP clients, and so on.

But i think you will be fine with around 80 gigs ;)

4. novice1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

From what i've read it seems like quite a process to increase/modify the size of the partitions so I'm wondering if it's even worth putting 150gb to windows?

Or is that excessive? Would allocating such a large chunk decrease the performance of the mac side?

5. cagen macrumors newbie

I seriously doubt it will decrease the performance of your computer when running osx, however i think 150 gb would be a rather large partition for windows, how large is your hdd in total?

6. novice1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

the hard disk drive is 750 so it's quite a lot and i have an external hard drive to store all my photos

7. cagen macrumors newbie

then you should have no problems making a 150 gb partition :)

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

With my 750GB, I made a 250GB (approx) partition for Windows - which leaves a hefty 500GB for Mac OS. :)

9. caroline61490 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook pro with only 250 GB of storage and therefore am committing 80 GB to windows 7. I will only be using it for school related things (as of now) for C++ programming and whatever other needs might arise. Most of my stuff is on my 500 GB external though. I think 80 should be sufficient for me

10. yennhikorea, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

yennhikorea macrumors newbie

if windows is only being used for business stuff, relatively small docs and spreadsheets, 40gb will be fine but you have to disable hibernation and the pagefile (google)
    Thiết kế website bán hàng trực tuyến là thế mạnh của chúng tôi nếu bạn cần thiết kế website thương mại điện tử chúng tôi vẫn đáp ứng còn thiết kế web giới thiệu doanh nghiệpthiết kế website trọn gói chúng tôi sẽ có giá ưu đãi khi bạn sử dụng dịch vụ thiết kế website của IUL. Phương pháp bán hàng online hiệu quả nhất năm 2016 sẽ được chia sẻ trong khóa học bán hàng trên facebook giúp kinh doanh truc tuyen thành công hơn. xem thêm gói magento 2 modules của chúng tôi

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No 40GB is tool small, regardless of it being used for business stuff. I manage computers and servers at work, and the C drive fills up because MS keeps the patches it stores, and it fills up the drive.

My work now creates new builds with 100GB C: drives. Given the large size that currently most computers come with, 100GB is a safe amount.

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If it doesn't have to be Windows 7, go for 8.1 or 10, as both of those platforms can more easily clean out old versions of patches. Windows 7 will continually grow as it is patched, it keeps the old file versions around essentially for ever.

There are ways to clean them up, but not officially supported by Microsoft.

I would not go for less than 60 GB, and that will be mostly 35 GB or so for Windows 7 alone (due to accumulated patches, etc.) plus some apps.