Recommended FM transmitters?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by shonor6, Feb 3, 2012.

1. shonor6 macrumors member

Something to turn my iPhone 4S to a small radio, so I could hear my songs while driving. Which are recommended? It would be nice if it'll come with the mount for the iPhone as well, so I don't have to buy it separately.

Thanks.

2. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

None... the radio waves are way too crowded for any of these FM transmitters to work. The only way those could work is if you live in a really rural area. I live in the Metro New York area and there isn't a chance you're getting a clear signal there.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

My XM radio works off of an fm transmitter and it works fine. (I live on Long Island)

I use a monster something-or-other, it works great but since apple changed from FW to USB it no longer charges my iphone but it works just fine! I'm too looking for a replacement.

4. jaynone macrumors member

ha. +1.

NYC area was the only place in America I couldn't get my FM transmitter to work. I'd end up listening to RXP or WCBS when I'm in the area.

The rest of the time my scoche fm transmitter would work fine. If OP's car has an antenna that can be folded down or removed that will help with the reception too.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Perhaps everything not in NYC counts as a "really rural area?"
    In my podunk backwater boonies of 6,000,000+ people, I am able to get my transmitter to work pretty decently, actually...

I have had the Griffin iTrip for several years and it does okay if you temper your expectations.

Obviously, it is not CD-quality sound, and the volume does vary based on reception strength and interference. And if you drive on a 2-hour+ journey where you change radio markets completely, you may had to fiddle with the frequency. But staying within my metro area, I have a radio preset set up in my car and don't have to tinker with the tuning at all. I'd recommend it.

7. shonor6 thread starter macrumors member

I live in Israel. It's kinda like NJ, not very rural nor very urban.

8. twz22 macrumors newbie

+1 for this. radio signal is awesome in northern VA, bluetooth is solid. siri response is a little off and calls are so-so depending on how far the microphone is from your seat. for the price, music quality is great.

9. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

You're from NoVA too!? That's crazy! Me too! Anyways so is this item worth the $50?

10. twz22 macrumors newbie

yup, i am. i use it mostly around prince william and fairfax counties. i don't think paid more than 40 for it. its rock solid on 89.5. if you get inside beltway on 66 and in DC it starts to go a little.