Recommended HD video type converters

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rustyness, Apr 25, 2009.

1. rustyness macrumors newbie

Hello.

This has probably been brought many times before, but I am new here so sorry in advance.

I have been given a Sony Handycam DCR-SR50E by my friend, and I am supposed to be editing the videos on my MacBook Pro. However, this HD camera is completely incompatible with the Mac and I have to download special programs just to watch the videos, let alone edit them. It's something to do with a screwed up codec, or so I am told.

I have tried a few video converters on the internet but they are all optimised for iPhones or iPods and are not great quality. The rest all cost £100, and I am not paying that to help a friend edit some personal videos. So basically I was wondering: does anyone know of any good HD video converters, whether they are compatible with a MacBook, whether they are compatible with iMovie, how good they are and how expensive they are?

In advance, thank you.

(P.S. I have iMovies 2009, if that makes a difference)

2. mwchris macrumors regular

to name a few

Before some one jumps on you, it wouldn't hurt to try a search, as you stated, this has been brought up multiple times.

A few you might check out are:

streamclip (but last I checked, and it has been a while, it will compress to standard def.)

isquint or visualhub

handbrake

canopus (not free, but good)

just google them.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's a hard drive based camera, not a high definition camera, so MPEG StreamClip will convert the file for use in iMovie. But you need to have some kind of MPEG2 decoder installed - VLC should accomplish this.

4. rustyness thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried a few of them and the quality was not great, but thanks anyway. That was why I asked again, and was more specific about my problem.

Thanks. I already have VLC installed. I was told the camera was HD and just took my friends word for it. I thought the quality was a bit naff for a HD camera, but just assumed because it was a bit old it was back when HD was a bit sketchy.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Export the files from StreamClip as DV, that will maintain the highest possible quality.