Recommended HDD for editing videos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dtechlogic, May 28, 2011.

1. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Which external HDD will you recommend for video editing. I am looking at the Graid which is not upgradable once i run out of space. Right now i have 500GB G-raid. also i am looking at the Drobo. Which is better or best to use. Will it be the drobo or g-raid or is there another brand out there that is good and cheaper than those two. The think i like about the drobo i guess is expandability by adding more HDD to it when i am ready to run out space.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I wouldn't recommend a Drobo for editing off of. What I WOULD recommend (and this is what I do) is to get a Drobo, and use your G-RAID for your current project. When you're done with a project, move the project file and footage and other assets over to the Drobo for archive, then start fresh with the G-RAID. Note that this isn't BACKUP, but purely archive. I have 3 different types of Drobos for backup and archive purposes.

3. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

also are the G-raid upgradable. The fan might be going out and i think it still uses EIDE HDD. I have an older version of the G-Raid. Are the parts inside upgradable like the hdd can i add two 500GB EIDE. also any recommended site were to get the fan. Okay i like the way you said it. I might get drobo for backup reason and also another think, any recommendation of software i can use to turn my avchd into a format that will work with final cut pro. I have my G-Raid back up of avchd files that i work on when i was using sony vegas. Any free one. or purchase but at a budget.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Will MPEGStreamclip on PC work? Install it on your Vega system and export all your AVC files to something you can import into FCP.
    Not sure maybe AVC into MPEGStreamclip Mac then ProRess?

5. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

I want to do everything on the mac. Let say i don't want to go back to pc. So far any new video that i am taking with my sony hxr mc50u. i am doing a transfer with transfer and log. Also what i am trying find is parts for my g-raid drive. So far no one has answer my question if G-raid drives are upgradable. I have a G-Raid 500 500GB. I would like to swap out the 250GB for 500GB to make it one TB. Also can the fan be replaced. :confused:

6. mBox macrumors 68020

We've been buying G-Techs from FC RAID systems to mini ones and so far not one has gone down.
    Oldest drives are 4 years old and still going :)
    Ive only seen parts for their XL RAID line but never had to buy.

7. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I was wrong. It works this is my first MAC so what is special about the graid drives. Right now I am using the one I have for backup.