Recommended HDMI switchers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fig, Aug 11, 2013.

1. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Hey folks, I'm attempting to connect two displays to both a Mac and PC as I now have my work PC at home.

After trying a few different things, I'm going with a USB switcher to flip back and forth between the keyboard/mouse and two separate HDMI switchers to switch between the displays.

The first HDMI switch I bought didn't work consistently, it would switch to the PC fine but then wouldn't connect back to the Mac more often than not.

Anyone using a switcher they can recommend? Or found a solution to a similar problem? Thanks.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I tried a couple of switchers before giving up on it and using monitors with dual inputs. Then I later moved my Windows box to a VMWare Fusion instance on the Mac, that turned out to be a FAR better solution for me.

3. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Not really an option in this instance but good to know, thanks.

I'd much rather not have the second machine and do everything on the Mac were it up to me :)

4. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Anyone else? Hoping there might be a solution that works.

Thanks.

5. jljue macrumors regular

How about Remote Desktop into the Windows box from the Mac? I use to do this as my VPN setup at work until things got changed up, and now I have to use the Cisco VPN client in a Windows VM on my Mac before I RDP from the Windows VM into my Windows box at work.

6. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Thanks, I've actually thought about trying that. I imagine it'd be pretty seamless once I was logged in?

7. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I've been using one from monoprice for about 2 years now and it's been working pretty well. I can't find the exact model though. It might be discontinued now. There are similar ones on there though.

8. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Hadn't thought to check Monoprice but they have what looks like a few good options, thanks.

Guessing you've got something like this?

9. brentsg, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

brentsg macrumors 68040

If you have an extreme budget, the DVDO Quick6 will maintain an HDCP session with each connected source that's providing output. That allows it to show previews of each source in PIP and do a quick source swap without the handshake that a typical "crash" switch entails.

I'm probably getting my HDMI terminology incorrect, but it's a great switch with some powerful features.

-PIP and instant switching
    -Programable auto-switching
    -4K support
    -HDMI ARC
    -MHL (for Roku Stream Stick, etc)
    -Dual display support

10. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Yes very similar. Mines the older version of that I think. Does the job for my TV so I can use my PS3 and Apple TV both through HDMI.

11. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

That does look awesome, but it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to spend more on the switch than I did on the display :) Very cool though, thanks for the link.

Cool, thanks. Think I'm gonna order one and see how it works.

12. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

It's only what 10, 15 bucks? Might as well try it out. Hope you end up liking it as much I as like mine!

13. fig thread starter macrumors 6502a

fig

Yeah, $18 so not too bad. I'll report back, thanks.