Recommended headphones with inline microphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thebivel, Nov 14, 2008.

1. thebivel macrumors newbie

Hi I tried the included Apple headphones that came with the iPhone 3G and quite frankly they are the most uncomfortable headphones that I have ever tried. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am on a budget so spending around £30 was what I had hoped for. I have a pair of Sennhauser CX500s currently which I really like but don't like having to take my phone out of my pocket to answer a call and miss not being able to skip/pause music.
    I have googled but would just like some opinions.
    Thanks

2. chrisesposito macrumors member

I found the Etymotic HF2 on ebay for about $80 US and the wife loves them as a headset w/mic.

3. aphexii macrumors 6502

If you really like your Senns, you could just buy an adapter with a In-line Mic/Button.

Phillips sells one at Target for $9.99, allows you to use any headphones you want and gives you a Mic/Button on the cord.

4. swishfish macrumors newbie

Try MM50 IP

If you like your Sennheisers (like I do) try the MM50 IP. They sell for £60 on the Apple site but I went into a Carphone Warehouse and they were under £40. Nice headphones with an inline mic. The mic is a bit heavy, but unless you wear them jogging they probably won't pull the headphones out of your ears.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

6. yegon macrumors 68020

I second these, I think they can be had for about £36 from Amazon. They're basically CX300s with the built in mic and skip/pause functionality. Very happy with mine.

7. bbapps macrumors regular

I was also thinking about the Sennheisers mm50's, actually was kind of waiting to see what people thought of the new apple earbuds, but getting tired of waiting.

Anyways, it seems there is two versions of the mm50's (e.g "mm50" and "mm50 ip"). Is the only difference between these versions the 2.5 vs the 3.5 mm jack? Seems like a big difference in price just for the jack.

8. Ag-Ryan macrumors newbie

i'd like to have this done to my earphones

local to LA, anyone wanna help me out??

9. swishfish macrumors newbie

I think the MM50 (without the "IP") doesn't have the mic/button, although I'm not sure on that.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I live around the UCLA area, and am free on weekends, send me a pm/aim or e-mail Ag-Ryan

11. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

While probably a bit more than you want to spend, the Bang & Olufsen Earset 3's are very nice. Very high quality audio, with a mic/hook button inline.

12. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Damn, that's a great price, I paid $100 more than that in the Aple store. Great headphones and mic. Awesome sound !

13. ..........? macrumors member

mm50 is for normal phone that have a 2.5mm plug

if you have an iphone get the one with the ip it mean for the iphone with a 3.5mm plug

14. bbapps macrumors regular

Ok, I'm good, I was more concerned with the price difference, but it looks like they lowered/fixed the mm50-ip price which was $99, now $68 (e.g. no longer a $50+ price difference between the mm50 and mm50-ip).

15. Nicholie macrumors regular

16. joesegal76 macrumors member

i just watched the how-to instructions on the Etymotic website for the HF2 and it just scared the hell out of me. All these instructions and precautions just to insert the headphones into the ear makes me a little uncomfortable.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2-eiv.aspx

17. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

haha dont worry about it

that video is pretty intense but there are a few points i would like to give you if you have never owned high end headphones

a) choose the right tip. I lot of the times the reason for crappy bass or weak high end is because you have not chosen the correct eartip for your ears. Some people absolutely love the foam tips, i am a big fan of the triple flange

b) ALWAYS ALWAYS remember, that when removing the earpiece from your ears, pull on the earpiece and not the cord. I had 3 sets of pretty expensive headphones die out on me this way ( 1 set was replaced under warranty, the others were not).

c) These are high end accesories, so make sure you treat them this way.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Shure MPA and your choice of Shure IEMs. This is the best option in terms of sound and quality.

19. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I've considered these myself, but it always seems like there are 100 options that also are similar...I hate that. I can get the 310s pretty inexpensive (compared to retail anyways).

I just wish there was overwhelming evidence that they were the best option...haha...but to each his/her own on sound.

20. benjee258 macrumors newbie

I just bought a pair of these. One of the guys from the Apple store told me about them. They work with all iphones, the new iPod touch and the macbook pro. They definitely got the right name, "Atomic Bass", and you can't beat the price ($49.99). They sound great and are very comfortable. The mic is pretty much just like the ones on the apple earbuds with the same click features.

If you decide to buy them which i recommend use the code "Radius10" for 10% off.