Recommended Hosts for MediaWiki or other Wiki?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Miles Davis, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Miles Davis macrumors member

Hey all,

So I've been trying for a month or two to figure out how to share information (financial, health, etc.) with my wife (just married 5/5/07!). Unfortunately, most programs (VooDooPad, Bento etc.) are generally geared towards the single user. We both have Macbooks, which of course are closed when not in use, so Bonjour sharing really doesn't work.

Anyhow, I've thought about using a wiki instead, and imagine that a private one would be more secure than say PBWiki, Backpack or the like. I've always liked how Wikipedia pages look and print out, so now I'm searching for a Mac-friendly webhost for MediaWiki. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    M

Oh, I've also thought about just using Google Apps for Your Domain, but until they release Jotspot, we're sort of stuck with just Docs...

2. thesdx macrumors 6502a

That's funny, because I was looking around for free MediaWiki hosts today. I was having trouble getting MySQL running, so I decided to look for hosts. ScibbleWiki is a very good host. It has unlimited pages and users, and runs on fast servers. Only issue is that it puts text ads on the side, but all of them have some sort of ads. I gave up on MediaWiki, as I'm working on a website for my mom's antique shop. The people that work there would be too confused on how to format pages. I found a wiki service called Wetpaint. It's not MediaWiki, but you can set it up to be totally private, and it's extremely easy to use. It has a true WYSIWYG editor that's way better than MediaWiki's editor. If you're just looking for a way to exchange financial info, Wetpaint would be secure enough for you. But, if you want MediaWiki, I recommend ScribbleWiki.