Recommended iMac 2011 RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lionel Messi, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Lionel Messi macrumors regular

Hello,
    My mom has the Mid-2011 21.5" iMac and she would like to upgrade her RAM as it is only 2x2GB (total 4GB). Max it can hold is 16GB, so I would like to know that since it has 4 slots, am I better off installing 4x4GB ($184) or 2x8GB ($160) from Crucial? Which would provide better performance?

Thanks!

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

The 2011 iMac can actually use 32 GB RAM, although Apple specs say it will only take 16 GB. See OWC site for upgrade info.

Based on that, I would go for the 2 X 8GB from Crucial, then also use the original 2 X 2GB from Apple, giving you a total of 20GB.

I can verify that the 2011 iMac will indeed utilize 32 GB RAM since that is what I run in mine.

3. Lionel Messi thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your response. My mother doesn't need 16GB RAM but why not pay a little extra for future proof, but 32GB will be a waste simply because she does not use video/programming software and used the most basic apps. I'll simply go for the 2x8GB from Crucial as my 2010MBP runs wonderfully with a 2x4GB Crucial RAM and haven't had a single problem with it.

4. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

If you're interested in saving a lot more money, you might be able to find used RAM on Craigslist. I know it sounds fishy, but I put another 4GB (2x2GB sticks) in my 2010 iMac for only 20 bucks. It was just used RAM from other Mac computers (didn't ask how the guy got it; hope it wasn't stolen). Cheap upgrade; works like a champ.

5. Lionel Messi thread starter macrumors regular

You got a point. I just found the exact RAM I want on Craigslist (and unused) for $90 but too bad I don't live in the US and stuff like this (selling used/unused RAM) is not readily available in my country. Gotta pay full-price unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though!