Recommended iMovie Export Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TechiEmmanuel, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TechiEmmanuel, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

TechiEmmanuel macrumors member

TechiEmmanuel

Hi!

A little background info:

I decided to build a hackintosh. I purchased a PowerMac G5, along with an aluminium Cinema Display 20", off of eBay to convert it to something ATX-suitable. Until I buy all the parts, I thought I might as well plug it in, find a USB keyboard and mouse, and become a power user, just like I am with Windows.

Anyway, I made a visualiser in After Effects CS3 for a song. It's here: http://youtu.be/4zQNt-15b7Q

It's pretty cool, in my opinion, but I can't seem to export it properly. Don't get me wrong, I have experience with After Effects, but here's what I've done:

1. I completed the project in After Effects.

2. I couldn't export it properly, so I copied the .aep and source material over to my ageing laptop with CS6.

3. I exported the project in AVI, but the file size was 21GB, and the audio track was missing as well. Unreasonably large for something under 5 minutes, am I right?

4. After a fail of an attempt with Media Encoder, I transferred the .avi to the G5 via an external hard drive, and attempted to import it into iMovie '09. It didn't like the encoding settings used (I just realized it was RAW video), so I opened up QuickTime and converted the video to a QuickTime video (.mov). Now 27GB.

5. I imported the video into iMovie, added the audio track, and tried to export by going to Share-->Export Using QuickTime. I played around with the settings, but I can't seem to get something reasonably sized, while not getting poor-quality video, and using at least 720p.

Do you all have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

2. bobsax macrumors member

bobsax

Dude , You're Awesome
    I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about:p

I think you need to "market" this question differently.
    ie have a thread title that will interest the smart people:D

3. TechiEmmanuel, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors member

TechiEmmanuel

Recommended iMovie Export Settings

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment.

For all the smart people, as @bobsax put it, here's an update:

I went to YouTube, and attempted to upload the video. I let it run all last night (27/3), but YouTube experienced a connection problem, and the upload was terminated. It's not a server problem, as I have a steady connection (Comcast Blast), but it may be Safari. I've heard stories of Safari not performing very well with large uploads, so I may download a copy of TenFourFox, and test it out.

In the morning (28/3), I downloaded a PPC-compatible copy of Handbrake, and configured it to convert it to an MP4 file, with an average bit rate of 6000kbps@720p. I left my computer, and let it run for the day, thinking when I got home from school and soccer, it would be done. Boy, was I wrong. "The application 'Handbrake' quit unexpectedly."

I may try again later, but that's all I have for now.