Recommended interfaces for a Mac Pro with Logic Studio 8?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by oban14, Feb 24, 2008.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Portability isn't a huge issue. I don't need top of the line. I'd like to be able to record bass, guitar, and vocals, preferably without an amp. I'd like it to be firewire, and to use the firewire interface for power.

It doesn't need to be portable. I've dug through a lot of threads and searches here and am overwhelmed by the number of choices out there. The sticky pre-amp thread looks great but I'm not sure if I need one of those or just a firewire interface. Is there one that can do both?

My budget is 20 dollars to 500 dollars, although I'd obviously rather not spend more than I need to.

Thanks in advance.

2. boolio macrumors newbie

Motu's ultralite is really sweet. Nice preamps, firewire buss powered, and two recording inputs. I've recorded whole bands on mine. Motu and macs are a great match.

3. Ploki macrumors 68000

check echo audiofire series

although motu and mac may be a match, as a professional company they shouldnt afford NOT to post SNR and THD+N on their website,.. it just cheapens the whole deal quite alot.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

wanna good match, try the apogee symphony system (although this is way out of his price range)

5. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

the MOTU 828 MK II firewire or USB can be picked up for a good price these days. (that is, there are two models - one firewire, one usb)

6. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not totally sure what this means. Sound/noise resistance and something else? I guess that's why I'm here, to learn a thing or two from those more knowledgeable than I.

The ultralite and mkii seem to be about the same price. Any real advantage of one over the other? I'm assuming the mkii requires it's own AC power, is bigger and would probably like to be rack mounted. They both seem to go for around the same price (~400) on ebay.

The Apogee Symphony looks amazing, but hardly cheap! How long do you think it would take something like that to significantly decline in value or become out of date? The card is only 700 bucks but I guess I'll need a converter and an X-symphony card as well.

I'll look at the echo audiofire series as well.

One other question: I've heard about the "really nice preamp" and I've seen the preamp thread as a sticky up there. Do I need a preamp as well, or will an ultralite/mkii/audiofire/symphony replace this need?

7. Ploki macrumors 68000

audifire8 and 4 have preamps (two), 12 has only line I/O.
    ultralite has preamps
    symphony will cost you well above 700e to make it a useful interface (With I/O's and preamps)
    828mkii has 2 preamps

if you dont need to record more sources at once 2preamps should be enough for starters, if you have more needs you can get external preamps for cheap and connect them to line i/o's.

snr= signal to noise ratio (dynamic range)
    thd is total harmonic distortion and noise.
    all professional equipment has that specification, apogee and echo have them, motu doesnt.

my vote goes for audiofire.. well, i'm getting one anyway. :) wanted to buy Motu 8pre, but no snr/thd spec's really bug me

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

right, not cheap (but well cheaper than a Protools HD rig), and i didn't mention it for you to consider it, but just to argue how well logic and mac pros work with the whole system ...

You'll notice one thing about really high end gear, (not computers, but preamps, compressors, and that kinda stuff) is that they're are still very functional and valuable for many years down the road...

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

yeah. but if you get Protools HD you can run them on G4 flawlessly, since you dont really need CPU power. :)
    for us cheapscapes its easier to get 8cores and logic,.. ;)

10. MascisMan macrumors member

what about the Presonus FP10 (formerly the Firepod)?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

those cards don't have unlimited power. after that runs out, one must run RTAS plugs off the local CPU. so it does come in handy.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the RNP is very nice. those interfaces all come with preamps built in, so you don't need an external one, but the RNP is likely to better than most built-in ones.

if/when you ever get to the point you want better pre's...

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

theres always the expansion chassis :D