Recommended keyboard case for iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nph, Aug 19, 2015.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I used Belkins in the past for my old iPad 3 which my son has now. The contenders are:
    Qode Ultimate (or Pro) from Belkin
    Zagg och Logitech.

I was pretty happy with Belkin and the ability to remove the case and use it without the keyboard on the Qode is tempting but cost is high although the ability to switch to iPhone is also nice.
    Is ihe pro worth the additional money?
    Zag seems the second best option.

I looked at the calmness but too heavy.
    What are your experience/recommendations?

2. clo721 macrumors newbie

I bought Logitech Type+ keyboard that's currently on sale at Best Buy for $69.99, which is a pretty great deal, as far as keyboard cases are concerned. You can't adjust the angle, which is the only problem I have with it, but the set angle works fairly well in most situations. I personally don't care for Zagg products (just my opinion), and the Belkin, to me, doesn't seem worth the extra money, but if you have the money to spend on it, go for it.

3. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I second the Qode Ultimate (or Pro) from Belkin

4. kitt9000 macrumors member

The Belkin pro ultimate keyboard is great...just bought one for 72.99+tax from an AT&T corporate store...which is more than 50% off retail...I believe at att.com and all AT&T stores. Definitely quality and you can use it without the keyboard as well as it detaches.

5. NJHitmen macrumors regular

NJHitmen

After a bunch of research, I just bought a Zagg Slim Book case. Should arrive tomorrow. I selected this one partly because the keyboard can be easily detached (it connects magnetically), leaving the device itself in one half of the case. So I don't have to lug the keyboard around all the time. Also the battery lasts a ridiculously long time, it's backlit, and the reviews are generally pretty good. I'll report back here after I receive it and have a chance to test it out.

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

After a lot of research, I too went for the ZAGG and have no regrets. It's a great product.

7. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I've given up on keyboard cases because Apple keep changing iPads, and I don't want to start a museum of keyboard cases.

I have a Zagg keyboard case for an ipad4, very well built with backlit keyboard, excellent, but adds quite a bit of weight. Logitech ultrathin for iPad Air 1, not backlit, lighter, not as robust as the Zagg, but okay.

For iPad Air 2, I got the red Logitech Keys To Go, expensive but very light, and works well with the iPad propped up with its Smart Cover, and will work with anything. I much prefer this to the cases ... The keyboard is so light, slips in the back of my iPad bag, with the iPad just in its Smart Cover.

8. iF34R macrumors 65816

iF34R

9. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

It's nice that you can use a Smart Cover with the included case.

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

11. scotttnz macrumors 6502a

Yes, I only had a brief play with it, but it really feels like a quality product. I'm tempted to get one, but they are a bit pricey, and I don't think I would use the keyboard that much as I use the iPad almost exclusively for content consumption. But if I was going to do much typing on the iPad, the Blok would be top of my list. It's the best case\keyboard combination I have seen.

12. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Not to get off topic but for the price of an ipad air 2 and that keyboard setup you're pretty much in Windows Surface territory with less functionality. Not to mention this pretty much resembles a surface setup.

But if you already have an ipad air this looks like a pretty cool option

13. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

I initially bought the Logitech ultrathin, which probably for you isn't sufficient as it's not a full case. The variance in typing angles was handy and the key typing experience is very natural (travel, spacing, etc). Then I started to get a lot of disconnects, which became unusable. I swapped out the coin batteries and no good. Amazon sent me out another one and almost immediately I had the same problems. that's gone back to Amazon for a refund, and I switched to the older Type+. Logitech have replaced the Type+ in apple stores with the Canvas.
    Logitech's forums are full of the same woes, and it appears to boil down to the fact that the ultrathin and the canvas use Bluetooth 4 and LE for the connection.
    My long ramble is just check the Bluetooth connectivity type in whatever keyboard you decide on and the associated manufacturers forums. the type+, whilst being slightly thicker than I wanted is doing me fine, not one disconnect since I got it two months ago (and its used a lot!).

14. sparksd macrumors 68000

You raise a good point in that many of these solutions are very expensive. That's why I've elected to go with separate Bluetooth keyboards that can used with the multiple devices my wife and I own, both iOS and Android (or the next device we buy).

15. May Smith macrumors newbie

May Smith

I also use the Cazbi Air 2 case, so far that's the best keyboard feel I found.

16. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Just looked this up.

Pretty much is the same setup as the belkin qode ultimate pro but instead of the iPad detaching from the keyboard it's the keyboard detaching from the iPad. Also a lot cheaper.

Might have to check this out.

Can it connect to multiple devices?

17. philmore13 macrumors member

I'd have to say the Logitch Blok, fantastic keyboard and very protective case. Case has a kickstand built in that you can set to any angle. It adds some heft to the iPad but it feels nice. Almost surface "Esque"

18. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I second the Keys to Go recommendation. It's so lightweight and I just keep it in my bag.

19. double329 macrumors 6502

I used Zagg Folio clam shell keyboard. I picked one up on sale at BB during BF for $30(from $80). I like this type. It is very sturdy on the lap and looks like a laptop with adjustable angle. It can be a little bit top heavy when fold all the way out. Both my sister and I are using this. I am waiting to see if Zagg will make one for iPad Pro.

20. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I definitely third this recommendation. I picked one up the other day as I was looking for a keyboard case to use with my iPad mini... Best purchase I have made in a while. I was contemplating purchasing a keyboard case, but the keys were so crammed, and you can only use the case for the one device. I wanted a case I could connect to any of my Apple products.

The keyboard does have a slight learning curve when it comes to typing, but that does go away quite quick. Definitely worth the money.

21. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Can that keyboard connect to multiple devices?

22. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The device can connect to multiple devices, but not at the same time. You could also connect the keyboard to an iPhone or Apple TV. So far it's been well worth the money.

If you're on the fence... Just buy it. You can always return it within 15 days if you don't like it. It's small and sleak, so it fits nicely into a bag when not being used.

23. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I think I meant can it switch between multiple devices.

If I have it connected to my iPad is there a button or toggle to switch between my iPad and MacBook?

24. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I do not believe so, at least not to my knowledge. There's definitely no button on the keyboard for this. Now that you mentioned that, it definitely would come in handy.