Recommended Laser Copiers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lyle, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

We'd like to buy a copy machine for use at the house. Some of the requirements are:

• Laser copiers only. Inkjets need not apply.
    • B&W is fine. Doesn't need to be a color copier.
    • I don't know what to expect in terms of pages per minute, but it's for personal use only so it doesn't need to be especially fast.
    • Two-sided copy capability would be nice, unless that dramatically increases the price. Definitely don't need more advanced features like collating or stapling, etc.
    • Not really interested in a multi-function device, although if it doubles as a scanner & laser printer (which seems likely) that's OK. It could replace our aging HP LaserJet printer, which has seen better days!
    • If it doubles as a laser printer anyways, would like for it to be network-capable and Mac-friendly.
    • Hoping to find something less than $500.
    I'm beginning to do my own research about what's available, but I just wanted to see if anyone has any first-hand experience with these and has any recommendations.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

How many pages per month?

If you aren't really doing a lot, then you can basically buy one of the ethernet capable dual sided Samsung/Brother printer-copier for about $?? at your local office supply place -- however this will get you a printer that will burn a cartridge every 1-1.5k pages.

The more you are willing to spend up front, the more pages you will get per cartridge.

---

Also looking at the cartridges to see what you can actually walk down and pick up at Staples, Best Buy, Office Max/Depot is also a good idea ... since mail order only might sound nice and cheap until you are out of toner and need to print something.

Edit: Sorry, fortgot the price, but they are basically the AIO machines and fax machines using the cartridges from the $100 printers. Looked again and it was about 180 for the single sided network using that cartridge and a bit more for the double-sided.

The color lasers are really cheap, but the 4 cartridges generally are about the cost of the printer.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I like the Xerox 6180; not exactly less than $500, but I did manage to get one at around $550. It does color all along with fax and scan… since it's a MFP. Of course the retail is around $650-$700.

This could definitely replace your current printer. It's very speedy and Xerox offers terrific support.

4. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Not sure, but probably in the hundreds at most (not in the thousands). My wife is a schoolteacher and she will use this as a backup for those times when the copiers at school are out of order (or for other emergency needs, I guess).

Yeah. I'm learning that it's difficult to find out from the manufacturer how long the toner cartridge will last. ;)

Yeah, I had already been warned about this hidden cost. That's why we're looking for a B&W printer/copier.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll make sure to check it out.