Recommended MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ImpKali, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ImpKali macrumors member

Sometime in the future, I intend to buy a MacBook to supplement my custom Linux PC. I'm not really interested in a Mac desktop because I enjoy the modularity of my desktop and find the Mac Pros to be a bit out of my price range and the iMacs too limited for my needs. But I am in the market for a laptop, and not another cheap piece of plastic crap from Windows OEMs.

I find when I am on the go I use Remote Desktop software and VPN to access the PC as well as the multitude of virtualized servers I am running on it. If I am in a remote location with no Internet, I would like a setup that has the power to host machines comfortably on the MacBook itself. It wouldn't have to be many; just two at a time would suffice. No, do not recommend the non-Retina macs just because it has a built in SuperDrive; I can buy an external USB one!

Gaming is another big plus. While I will do most of my mainstream gaming on the desktop whenever I can, I would like something that could at least reasonably play the games of today. It doesn't have to be ultra high, and we're not talking Crysis level graphics here; maybe Skyrim at the most. I also play a lot of emulated games, which as you know requires considerably more muscle than the original system has. I'm thinking up to PS2 or Wii emulation. Other than that, screen resolution isn't too big of a priority as long as I can see it comfortably in full screen resolution. I'm not even overly interested in the Retina macs, even if they do bench a bit higher.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. ImpKali thread starter macrumors member

I was just using the general name in case someone recommended an Air. I'm open to all suggestions, I just want some second opinions on configuration options. :)

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

You don't mention budget. If you want the optimal configuration for your needs at the best price, the non-retina is the way to go. At a minimum of 30 GB per VM, you're leaving yourself only 60 GB for regular storage on a base model Retina (128 GB SSD standard), where the non-retina has 500 GB as the standard drive (and can be self-upgraded later if needed, or you want an SSD at a lower price). Same goes for the memory.

Whatever you do, if you get a non-retina, DON'T pay Apple's prices for upgrade parts, the only one I'd pay for (I did) is the hi-res screen on a 15". I paid a little over $100 for 16 GB memory, Apple wants $100 for 8 and doesn't even OFFER 16. They want $700 for a 512 GB SSD, you can get a Samsung 840 Pro at almost $200 less and you still have your 500 GB spinner that you can do something with.

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

Non-retina MBP also allows for optibay hard drive + SSD. This is what I'm rocking (early 2011) and it works a treat.

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

If you want to do any gaming make sure to go 15" for the size of screen but more importantly the dedicated GPU. Integrated graphics suck for gaming.