Recommended mail setup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by leewilson78, Jun 23, 2009.

1. leewilson78 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I purchased an iPhone on Friday, since then I been trying to get mail setup in a nice way. Let me explain the setup on my macbook pro:

I am using POP at several domains, there are probably 4 years worth of organisation, rules, folders etc. I run a web design business and its handy to have these organised into folders and rules.

Initially, I synced with my iphone, using default sync with mail. The problem is that if I read the mail on my iPhone, I get it as new mail on my macbook pro. Also, a junk comes through on the iPhone, not too much, but enough for it to be a problem. I basically have a dedicated server and have configured SpamAssasin, but a few get throug.

Reading up, I hear that the way to go is with IMAP, problem is that Apple Mail has a fit when it tries to retrieve 4 years worth of mail, plus I get duplicates of all the mail in Apple Mail.

I also hear that many people use Gmail, I recently signed up for a premier account, but I didn't find it easy to setup a workable workflow, also, what would happen to my old mail?

I guess there is a lot to think about, just wondering if anyone can help implement a workflow for me?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. ldobson macrumors regular

Here's how I do it.

1. Create a new IMAP account "mobile@domain.com" (enable spamassassin)
    2. Configure your iPhone to poll the "mobile@domain.com" IMAP box
    3. Configure your IPhone outbound SMTP email to use you@domain.com
    4. Forward you@domain.com to mobile@domain.com

This prevents you from having to sync a massive IMAP folder, you can periodically delete messages from the mobile box without effecting your other account, and you can still send email from your phone using your main account by configuring a different user for outbound smtp email.

Hope that helps