Recommended ordering method didn't work

garethjs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Apple recommend Apple Pay and and the apple store app for ordering the iPhone X

Ordered something the day before no issues

Went through the process of adding the iPhone 8 to favourites so I could get the finger stroke ready for the main day as funny as that sounds.

Had iPhone X both colours 256gb added to favourites

Both finance and me were ready. She trying for home delivery and me for stock pickup

Well 5.58pm onwards we kept closing and opening the app.

6.04pm it loads finally and by 6.05pm I'm at checkout and then try to Apple Pay it

"Payment Not complete" error... I try over 20 times and same error all time.

It would show processing and then after 5 secs "payment not complete"

It was at 6.08pm that I See my cart changing dates for 3rd to 17th. So it definitely wasn't a case of the phone being sold out whilst I was trying

Again I try apple pay and it fails again. So closed the app and tried payment with another credit card and it prompted for CVV and showed me my billing details which were correct but no further action...

By 6.12pm it had gone on to 5-6weeks

Both of us had the exact same error and we took screenshots to prove the timing and the error showed.

I called amex that night to ask if they saw charge attempts and they said nothing was reflected meaning no request was even put through

mates who had somehow managed to order were ones who either went through safari and leisurely took their time filling up details and got a 3rd nov pick up or relied on reservation link working for store pick up.

So now its back to queuing again...

Needless to say I won't be using Apple Pay in such situations again.

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
I would have changed payment methods after first try. always have a backup method ready.

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
It's pretty much been established that Apples "advice" that the app would be the best method kinda backfired when the majority of users hit the same road. Usually its spready between browser and app, but this year, I guess, a huge chunk of the desktop users opted for the "efficient" method of going the app route, too.

I, too, got hit with 5-6 weeks with the app. Never ever had issues with every pre-order prior.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I had my cc number copied and ready to paste, the expiration and code memorized...

But the apple app prompted me to do Apple Pay (diff card, nbd) and I did and it was seamless.

Recommended =/= guaranteed though.

Next time! (You can have backup methods waiting)

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
I had my cc number copied and ready to paste, the expiration and code memorized...

But the apple app prompted me to do Apple Pay (diff card, nbd) and I did and it was seamless.

Recommended =/= guaranteed though.

Next time! (You can have backup methods waiting)

This is my biggest regret about it. Being naive to think only that method would be faultless. Live and learn, I suppose.

garethjs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Same. Every year I always secure an iPhone (or watch) for launch with the regular credit card through the app.

This year I got the 8 and AW3 easily with the app with a regular credit card.

I ordered the ATV4k 64gb last as I wanted to put it on the card associated with Apple Pay so I tried that for the first time and it failed (I should have used this as a sign) but thankfully I managed to get one when I went to pick up my ordered devices.

I wouldn't bother with holding up my funds with the 5-6weeks order unless u were in no urgent rush.Chances are you'll get one way faster if u rely on the reservation pick up app.
[doublepost=1509227044][/doublepost]To the ones who are saying backup methods.

I agree it took me awhile to turn to the using a regular credit card and entering my CVV but as I mentioned that failed too. It refused to move away from the details page and upon googling it seems many other faced the same issue.

My backup method from now on is to not bother with the app or Apple Pay and to take the day off stay home and use safari and use the predicted reservation link (which this year didn't fail for those that tried)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vampire14